SciFi now called SyFy

Andrewr05

SciFi (yes the TV channel) is now called SyFY...

:blink:

It sounded stupid (and looked stupid! well it still does but whats done is done) until I read the explanation:

1. Why are you changing your name?

Although we love the name Sci Fi, because it's a generic term, we can never own it. As the way people watch TV changes, that's becoming a growing issue for us. When we started out 16 years ago, we had one cable network in the US and everyone watched TV live. By the end of 2009, we'll be in 50 countries, our content will be distributed across dozens of new platforms - from Hulu and iTunes to mobile phones and game consoles - and a growing number of viewers no longer watch live.
    That creates problems we've never had before, such as when a search for a "sci-fi show" might not turn up any results for a "Sci Fi show," when we compete in other countries with another network that uses "sci-fi" in its title, and on the text-based menu systems used on many devices, where the name Sci Fi and the category "sci-fi" are indistinguishable. As we expand our brand into new areas such as gaming and technology, Syfy will also help people tell the difference between a game that we're involved with and the hundreds of other sci-fi games out there that we're not.
    Syfy is also our way of getting our unique programming point of view across (see next answer). As you may have noticed, we've always aired shows that many people wouldn't consider strictly science fiction: Fantasy, paranormal, etc. Syfy is a way to recognize that, and a way to make our programming more accessible to a broader audience.
    The incredible possibilities that our new name unlock are extremely exciting. As imagination's greatest enthusiasts, we're thrilled to leave the beaten trail, experience the world from a new perspective, and begin a new journey. And by living this commitment to imagination, we know we'll provide greater entertainment for our fans.

2. Does this mean you're changing your programming?

No! We've always defined "sci-fi" a lot more broadly than most people, and Syfy is a way to recognize the programming we already have on our channel, from Stargate and Eureka to Ghost Hunters and Scare Tactics. For us "sci-fi" includes a broad range of imagination-based entertainment, including science fiction but also fantasy, the paranormal, adventure and others. Syfy helps us define our unique take on the genre.

3. Are you going to continue to make science fiction shows?

Yes! In fact we're launching three new science fiction dramas in the coming months: Warehouse 13, Stargate Universe and Caprica. We also have several TV events coming up, including Riverworld and The Phantom. We plan to stay in the sci-fi business.

4. How do you pronounce Syfy?

No change there. It's pronounced just like "sci-fi" is.

The network still sucks... They can shows just so they can make sequel series, and eventually those series die. The only good thing to happen to them in recent years was Battlestar Galatica and even that ended (on its own terms thankfully or so we know....) now they are coming out w/ Caprica which is pretty good from the pilot I saw (it is on DVD now you can purchases it from your local retail store!) but I just have a feeling that they are going to kill that, like they did w/ Stargate.

Also those wonderful movies they always have on! You know those movies that deserve an Oscar..... If you couldn't tell I was being sarcastic... They need to take a chapter from their British Rivals and air more Dr. Who, and Torchwood.

I am glad they brought back Sanctuary. But idk these guys just really get me going sometimes with their ratings and such. Your network is a Science Fiction network, your demographic is a bunch of nerds in their parents basements, ratings is something that you shouldn't be worrying about...

Ya know I really like BSG, SG and Farscape from what little I saw of them.

I don't really know why (I have PLENTY of time at my disposal) but I just can't sit down and watch them.

I'd really like to watch a whole series uninterrupted for once, even with Lost, I love Lost its a fricken kickass show but I never ended up watching the last like 3-4 episodes for some reason.

As far as their "original movies" go... meh... I'll pass on that...

:P

Your network is a Science Fiction network, your demographic is a bunch of nerds in their parents basements, ratings is something that you shouldn't be worrying about...

Wait...so because you don't like their shows, their movies, or anything...they should cater to you? :lol:

I happen to enjoy their horrible movies because they are just that...horrible! :) They have a much larger audience than you think. ;)

Wait...so because you don't like their shows, their movies, or anything...they should cater to you? :lol:

I happen to enjoy their horrible movies because they are just that...horrible! :) They have a much larger audience than you think. ;)

You can't forget such campy neo-classics such as Harpies...

:lol:

LMFAO

What a horrible movie!

:O

Dont care what they are called as long as there is something that catches my, I'll watch it. Warehouse 13 wasn't as bad as I was expecting and I am kinda looking forward to seeing sand serpents this saturday. I still feel that even though the name sounds gay as hell....it's still better than LMN or the hallmark channel