Sign in to follow this  
Krysthos

Building my ultimate gaming rig, need help!

As much as i want bragging rights with my friends, i DO want the best bang for my bucks, ansd don't want to spend extra money that will do little cause my goal in the end is to have a fast loading comp with very high fps for my mmo's and fps.

This is music to our ears. We love to help people get the best performance without spending too much, and we hate to see people be stubborn and just go overboard even after we explain why it'll be a waste. Ultimately, it's up to the person though, so it's always nice when someone is logical about it like yourself :)

And as for monitor, i'm getting at least a 30' monitor, if not bigger. Getting the nvidia 3d glasses as well so i need a 120hz monitor.

I'm well aware that videocards come out every freakin 2-3 months, offering us better performance and whatnot but i want to know as it stands NOW, what would be the most beneficial setup for me. The 2 295gtx's, the 3 285's? I just want the highest fps that the computer gods can give me!

These two things are going to be tough. If you get a 30" monitor, then you WILL need big-time video firepower. However, if you want 120hz for 3D glasses, then you probably can't go that big, like hardnrg said. So if that's the case, then you WON'T necessarily need big-time video.

Sooooooo.... It looks like you may need to decide what's more important to you. The 3D glasses, or the big 30" screen and the 2560x1600 mega-pretty resolution. Your choice there will make a big difference on how you should build this thing.

Thermaltake water cooling sucks... go custom or at least Swiftech kit...

OMG please... if you only listen to one thing we say, listen to nrg on this. Thermaltake water is a waste of money. Don't fall for it. Not all water systems are created equal (not even CLOSE, in fact). For example, there are plenty of $200 water kits that perform significantly worse than a good $50 air cooler. So keep that in mind. If you want water cooling, be careful and make DOUBLE sure that what you're ordering is good. We can certainly help you pick out the necessary parts to get top-notch water performance.

why is that card 900+ at tiger direct when newegg has them for 510?

Does the newegg one have a full-coverage waterblock built in?

Does the newegg one have a full-coverage waterblock built in?

No, didn't notice that. But anyway...can't that be done for less than the $400 difference? sheesh!

Also, are there even alot of games that go 25x16 resolution?

Edited by Fight Game

No, didn't notice that. But anyway...can't that be done for less than the $400 difference? sheesh!

Also, are there even alot of games that go 25x16 resolution?

2560x1600?

Yeah most games do, it just doesnt appear in the settings till you have a monitor that supports that resolution.

And +1 to the custom watercooling 95% of premade kits just plain suck.

Well i decided to go with the i7 920, the evga x58 mobo , seems like the most logical choice after reading reviews all day. Now on to the rest!

I live in montreal, so all prices that you see are in canadian dollars

Edited by Krysthos

yes, PLEASE be wise in your watercooling system, and if I recall correctly dont i7's put off a lot of heat? If so you might need to have two loops, one for the CPU/MB/other and one for the video cards.

I know they have tv's that are 52"(+?) that are 120hz, so not sure if this is correct

I don't know of any TVs that support 2560x1600 native, and I don't know of any displays at all that support 2560x1600 @ 120Hz, since I'm fairly sure it's beyond the capability of DVI... You'd need DisplayPort or 2xDVI for [email protected]

I'd much rather have 2560x1600 on a 30" monitor than a less resolution TV, or smaller 120Hz monitor... for 2x295 Quad SLI or 3x285 Tri-SLI, you would be a muppet to get anything less than 2560x1600

Yes, looking for monitors online, not finding anything atm, really want a 30" monitor with 2560x1600, with good response time. Any recommandations?

I'm pretty sure once you go up to 30" that the number of different panels that are used is relatively limited.

I don't think any of them will use TN panels (the cheapest type with the fastest refresh rates), but I could be wrong.

It depends how much you want to spend as well, because you can spend a lot, or a whole lot :lol:

Well i decided to go with the i7 920, the evga x58 mobo , seems like the most logical choice after reading reviews all day. Now on to the rest!

I live in montreal, so all prices that you see are in canadian dollars

You won't really need that motherboard even in your case. That board is pretty much for extreme overclocking (LN2/LHE/DICE). I'm sure you can find a similar performer for much less (such as Gigabyte Ultra Durable series, UD4 maybe).