Building my ultimate gaming rig, need help!

Krysthos

Hello tech savy ppl, i'm here posting this request because i'm about done saving my money to finally build a computer of my dreams. I want my rig to be a beast! Now this may sound weird to some ppl, maybe all...but i've been looking for a video card setup of my dreams and i found this baby out a while ago and fell in love with it: video card. Now this is why it'll sound weird, looking for the perfect setup for these babies, cuz i want 2! Most ppl would start with the processor i guess, not the vid cards! Would an amd or intel setup be better? Money is not going to be the issue and the vid cards are somewhat overkill according to my friends but i think this would be a good long term investment and not have me thinking about upgrading for a very long time. So i need a complete sysytem build around the vid cards that i chose. I already have an Antec quattro 1000w psu so will that be good enough. Whatever the cpu, i plan on doing a mild overclock to slightly increase performance. For the case, i am thinking of having a plexi-glass case fabricated to show off the system as i plan on adding some uv reactive lights and uv reactive dye for the cooling. I want all opnions and builds as i am serious, i wanna get this rig done asap! Thanks.

i think this would be a good long term investment and not have me thinking about upgrading for a very long time.

Get what ever cards you want but I must say that this is indeed an !!AWFUL!! long term investment. These things depreciate on a weekly basis,, never mind long term.

When you try to future proof it costs a ton because by the time you will need that much gpu power you will be able to get it DIRT cheap

If you want 2 of those cards thats awesome but don't try to fool yourself into it being a wise investment,,, it may be fun, but not wise

For the case, i am thinking of having a plexi-glass case fabricated to show off the system as i plan on adding some uv reactive lights and uv reactive dye for the cooling. I want all opnions and builds as i am serious, i wanna get this rig done asap! Thanks.

i don't mean to be the bearer of bad tidings but when i was plexi-case shopping awhile ago it was brought to my attention by some of the seasoned vets here at OCC who've already been down that road that plexiglass is a dust magnet, is prone to scratching at the slightest provocation, heavy, and a pita to work with in general. Your hardware will be working long after the case has lost it's lustre. I opted for a very roomy aluminum with a big side window and so far i'm happy about that. Other than that have fun with it.......!! B:) ......cya......cj

Just remember with these cards, you need a big high quality radiator for them and 1/2 tubing, and they are overkill for anything under 2560x1600.

Oh and quad sli is terrible scaling wise, if you want to build a machine for bragging rights id go a 3x285 personally, would look better and performance would be a tad better.

You're going to get LOTS of lectures about those video cards. Prepare yourself. I'll say my own and be done with it...

If you're building this because you think it'll be fun to build an absolutel monster, then go for it. You'll absolutely succeed. If you're truly looking for future-proofing, you're fooling yourself with these cards. What you're building is not an "investment". Yes it will be extraordinarily powerful so it will last longer than a more standard system build today, but if you do the math on how much extra money you're spending versus how much longer this rig will last than just a run-of-the-mill PC by today's standards, there's just no way the math works. I mean it's not even close.

So anyways, if you're interested in getting the best bang for the buck, let us know and we can maybe try to help to scale this thing a bit more to your needs. On the other hand, if you just want to build a monster because it'll be fun and it'll make you happy, then I suggest you say so very clearly and very bluntly because that'll shut people up who are going to ride you about your system being overkill.

One other piece of advice about the video cards too: Get a BIG monitor. Honestly, I think even 1920x1200 (or 1920x1080) is a crime for the kind of video power you're going to have. You're going to want at least 2560x1600 which probably means 30".

As for the power supply. The 1000W may be enough, but it will depend on if you plan to overclock and all that. Those video cards are going to pull TONS of power. You may want a bit more headroom to be sure (1200W or so).

As for the chip to go with these... Intel i7 and X58 motherboard. Definitely.

As for case, I'd avoid the plexi, myself. Just seems like a real pain the arse to me. Plus there are plenty of cases with windows and layouts to show off your system. Your main problem is that your case is going to need to be HUGE to handle your water system. You're going to want a 3x120mm radiator, I'd say, and that's almost certainly going to require some custom work on the case to fit it.

$900 for a single component? your crazy right? I built my rig for less than that. Seriously, go with a nice 4890 and save yourself $700

On the plexi case........... looks cool, but don't do it. Its incredibly hard to keep clean, and can look aweful cables wise unless you have a modular PSU. Even then.......... just dont.

Well i've heard some negative things about having a plexiglass case, maybe just better to opt for a built in liquid case like this case .

Now i was thinking about the 285's as 3 of them would actually be cheaper. Note, i am not a fan of ati at all, had a 4870x2 for a while and had the most annoying driver issues with this card. Lack of support from diamond made me drop it like a ton of bricks. Worked amazing when it wanted to, was just plaged by too many problems. Now if i get 3 285's, i am most concerned about airflow in my case as i'm sure these cards will get hot very quickly. My 4870x2 would reach about 65c with the fan around 40% at full load in my antec 900. So i'm pretty sure i'd need at least an antec 1200 if not a bigger case(love the antecs!). And as for monitor, i'm getting at least a 30' monitor, if not bigger. Getting the nvidia 3d glasses as well so i need a 120hz monitor.

I'm well aware that videocards come out every freakin 2-3 months, offering us better performance and whatnot but i want to know as it stands NOW, what would be the most beneficial setup for me. The 2 295gtx's, the 3 285's? I just want the highest fps that the computer gods can give me!

As much as i want bragging rights with my friends, i DO want the best bang for my bucks, ansd don't want to spend extra money that will do little cause my goal in the end is to have a fast loading comp with very high fps for my mmo's and fps. So shoot me your builds on what you would do. Thanks

maybe just better to opt for a built in liquid case like this case

Thermaltake water cooling sucks... go custom or at least Swiftech kit...

as for monitor, i'm getting at least a 30' monitor, if not bigger. Getting the nvidia 3d glasses as well so i need a 120hz monitor.

you might find that 30" is the largest physical size for a 2560x1600 panel... the largest 120 Hz monitors are around 23-24" and are lower resolution