new to photoshop

I'm looking to change the color of an object in a picture. The object has complicated lines and designs and I've heard you can change the color of the object by using the brush tool but it doesn't cover up everything. Not sure if that describes it well enough but can anyone point me in the right direction?

CS3 btw

Edited by XxHellxRaizerxX

If you want to paint over an object with the brush tool (as in, with a solid colour), then you can do it in a number of ways.

One way would be to create a new layer, set it to 'overlay' (some of the other settings might work well too) and paint over whatever you want to change while in the new layer.

Set the brush opacity to less than 100% as well (start with something reasonably low).

If you don't like the changes, you can of course use undo or just delete the layer and start again.

I'm not exactly sure what you are wanting to do, and the above works well or less well depending on what you are painting over.

If you want to change the colour of objects in a picture, there are plenty of other ways to do it.

Showing us the picture and describing what you want to do with it may result in some better methods being suggested. :)

Just got it about 2 hours ago :)

Used the Quick Mask to cut the picture out then Linear Burned a new color onto it, worked pretty well other than it's tough to make a military green into a lighter color. Any tips on that? Keep in mind I would like to keep the designs visible on the object.

new question from a noob on his first day of Photoshop :P

How would i go about get this flag onto the show parts of the vehicle? but leaving the decal of the vehicle in tact like done with just changing it's color. Is this possible?

flag.jpg

there's a Color Replacement Tool in Photoshop that does exactly what (it sounds like) you wanted to do...

http://veerle.duoh.com/blog/comments/photo...placement_tool/

for the 2nd thing, I'd create a mask out of the warthog (copy it to a new layer, make it greyscale, increase brightness/curve/levels so it's white/near-white, make a new black layer, merge the white warthog down onto the black layer), then create a layer mask for the flag, and paste the black/white mask into the flag layer mask

do some sort of semi-transparent blend...

you could probably warp the flag a bit to make it seem to be on the surface more, but you might not even need to do that

Pretty sure I got what I wanted. Thanks for the help :) I'm really starting to enjoy Photoshop!

Finished results, not the best but practice makes perfect I suppose.

AmericanGoose.jpg

americanflagwarty.jpg

Edited by XxHellxRaizerxX