A try at HDR

Hey, just thought I would share my attempt at HDR. I know the HDR train has come and gone, but I feel like the photo came out very well and am open to any C&C people here might have. Also, if you have any HDR shots you've done, maybe you could share them.

gROKNl.jpg

Looks alright. Not liking the choice of scenery though.

After seeing Tekzilla do some samples of simpler HDR, seems like something fun to do. But I don't have a digital camera :(.

Edited by Krazyxazn

I think somehow in the process of HDR combination, you've lost a lot of black level, and so the intensity of the sky/sunset has been lost, and also in the same way, the distinction between foreground and background...

I don't think the black levels should tail off and end this soon:

clipboardmtz.jpg

Overall, the picture seems a little washed-out (of colour), and low-contrast... I think if you sorted the black level, somehow redoing the HDR to intensify the sky, and maybe adjusted the saturation a touch, it would be a much more striking picture

Can you post the original photo, because I fail to see any HDR there...shrug

Here are the originals... 3 exposures...

8OFiLl.jpg

75dRJl.jpg

yZ9TZl.jpg

not all HDR shots are the rediculiously overblown ones :P

I think somehow in the process of HDR combination, you've lost a lot of black level, and so the intensity of the sky/sunset has been lost, and also in the same way, the distinction between foreground and background...

I don't think the black levels should tail off and end this soon:

Overall, the picture seems a little washed-out (of colour), and low-contrast... I think if you sorted the black level, somehow redoing the HDR to intensify the sky, and maybe adjusted the saturation a touch, it would be a much more striking picture

Yeah, this was my first time messing with Photomatix, I'll give it another shot tonight and see if I can massage any more color/contrast out of it and let you all know how it goes.

Null (and maybe also Kevin)... have you tried the HDR function of Photoshop?

http://www.secondpicture.com/tutorials/pho...toshop_hdr.html

:withstupid: I found Photoshop's HDR feature to be quite good but sometimes it just didnt come out right.

Yeah, this was my first time messing with Photomatix, I'll give it another shot tonight and see if I can massage any more color/contrast out of it and let you all know how it goes.

i would recomend using Dynamic-Photo HDR over photomatix. When i started getting into HDR i began with photomatix but found the dynamic-hdr was far better.

• 1 month later...
:withstupid: I found Photoshop's HDR feature to be quite good but sometimes it just didnt come out right.

i would recomend using Dynamic-Photo HDR over photomatix. When i started getting into HDR i began with photomatix but found the dynamic-hdr was far better.

Well photoshop is good at generating an HDR image, but what u need to make it look compelling is the need to tone map the hdr that you make from the multiple exposures. For that, the best software is Photomatix without doubt. Dynamic photo HDR is also good, but Photomatix is my personal fav. check out the result here, it is a 3 exposure HDR from Photomatix.

3387111930_a38ee9a43b_b.jpg