Starcraft 2 : No LAN

thebridgerofdoom

I tried b.net with my cousin once but we found it wasn't the same, for us one of the nice things about playing together was being in the same room and chatting about random stuff while we played.

wouldn't you still be able to do that over battlenet? You could still sit in the same room and play over battlenet, it doesn't take that much bandwidth to play a game.

Edited by flareback

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well ya but I don't really see why you would do that when you can just LAN... unless you are using two different ISPs or something weird like that.

like I said, you do that so your character is persistent no matter where you are and so that you can trade with anyone and/or play with anyone. You can still be in the same room (we did that all the time). You can also password your b.net games if you want it to just be you and your friends. There honestly isn't any reason to play over the LAN unless you don't have internet.

I'd have to agree with the statement that this isn't really a big deal. You can still play games with your friends, It's just that instead of mooching off of your copy now they have to have their own copy. It's no big deal, and as stated you can password protect the game so only you and your friends can play. Sorry you can't get the game for free on other computers now? :huh:

Sorry you can't get the game for free on other computers now? :huh:

You know that this is NOT what most people here are complaining about, right? <_<

It's about adding unneccessary internet requirements. If people who want to game together are on a home network together, they shouldn't NEED to dial out to the internet to set up a multiplayer game, only now they will.

AGREED

What if I live out in the middle of the woods and my entire home is powered by solar power, I rely on cellphone coverage for a phone and I don't even have internet?

Why shouldn't a friend and I be able to enjoy a game of SC2 together?

I guess we are all getting upset over something that will be hacked fairly quickly.

We shouldn't HAVE to wait for a mod or hack to do it, but if that is the case then so be it.

like I said, you do that so your character is persistent no matter where you are and so that you can trade with anyone and/or play with anyone. You can still be in the same room (we did that all the time). You can also password your b.net games if you want it to just be you and your friends. There honestly isn't any reason to play over the LAN unless you don't have internet.

You still get those two thing with LAN though, in fact with LAN I don't have to worry about any time limit being put on the characters, just take one from my single player game and throw it on the LAN. So instead of going trough b.net to trade I can just LAN and trade, not that I trade anyway.

As for the playing them free thing, I have purchased two battlechests for D2 and I think $60 for 3 people to play together is fair.

"Try before you Buy" - a nicer term

but most gaming companys end up spending more time trying to make the game un-crackable , and forget who there making it for , theres always guna be the people who download the game and play it cracked , but theres probly a larger ammount of people who buy the game to show support.....

the best part of this is the fact Blizzard made Warcraft3 no-cd cracked on one of there latest patches , and WoW is no-dvd

as for not having a LAN function , all there doing is dissapointing ALOT of fans .

i dont think they can ever successfuly stop piracy.

like I said, you do that so your character is persistent no matter where you are and so that you can trade with anyone and/or play with anyone.

You know the really funny thing about this for me?

I never cared much (practically at all) for online stats, item trading, ladder ranking and that sort of stuff from services like b.net. Well.... when Hellgate:London came around, I really didn't have much interest in multiplayer. In fact, I got to the mid-40 levels and I never did meet up with a real world friend and I don't believe I ever even joined a group. But I was told to make a multiplayer character anyways just in case I ever wanted to do any of that stuff. So I did.... And as you know, they went under and took the multi-player characters with them. :(

(I'm not at all implying this would happen to b.net, because I really don't believe it ever will. I'm just pointing out the unfortunate humor.)

as for not having a LAN function , all there doing is dissapointing ALOT of fans .

i dont think they can ever successfuly stop piracy.

Yup, and that's one of the first things I said because I completely agree. It's another perfect example of two things: 1) Money wasted on DRM that's not going to prevent anything (because they ALWAYS get cracked), and 2) DRM that only serves to punish loyal customers.

the best part of this is the fact Blizzard made Warcraft3 no-cd cracked on one of there latest patches , and WoW is no-dvd
They have that for SC and Brood War as well.

I have it on the laptop I'm using right now...they're mpq files you download.

I have BroodWar.mpq, which weighs in at 545MB.

Blizzard has some of the most powerfull non government supercomputers in the industry, that handle World of Warcraft, I am pretty sure this is a non-issue :)

:lol: That's not true at all.

Anyway - I'm not buying SC2 until a LAN hack comes out...not because I want to pirate it and play with my friends but because I HATE being tethered to remote servers to play a local game. This is the same reason that Hellgate: London failed: no LAN.

:lol: That's not true at all.

Anyway - I'm not buying SC2 until a LAN hack comes out...not because I want to pirate it and play with my friends but because I HATE being tethered to remote servers to play a local game. This is the same reason that Hellgate: London failed: no LAN.

There are many reasons why HGL failed. The LAN is not one of them :P. In fact, I was very involved in the official HGL forums and several fansites, both during beta and after launch, and not once did I hear anyone clamor for LAN play.