Sign in to follow this  
thebridgerofdoom

Starcraft 2 : No LAN

Personally, i hate steam. I'll rather have my games in my shelf than in a server. The next thing you know it, BAM, all your games are wiped from the face of the earth. Plus, I want to keep the box and display it on my shelf, and it takes FOREVER to download from steam. ( I live far away from US)

This is going way off topic, but saying "BAM all your games are wiped off the surface" is BS. What if you have a house fire, then BAM all games are wiped off too. If they are Steam games, you can still then log in at a friends house and play...

All I am saying is, its far more likey that YOUR games get stolen/destroyed/lost/etc than that they are "Wiped off the surface of Earth" by steam. You have proof you bought them, so even IF they where all gone from your steam list, you can just contact Valve and get them back. There support is EXCELLENT! When I had problems with Bioshock, they replied to my emails within hours. When my account got stolen, I had it back in 45 mins. And that was at 18:00.

@ Andrew,

I never knew you could back up the games either :P till one day I looked through the menus and saw the option. Then I used it to copy Left 4 Dead from my computer here, to my machine in IRL. (Rather than use the CD, and then have to download patches there)

Then when I moved to vista, I backed up my 50 Gig of games and just restored em back. The whole task took only about 50 mins to do. (The restore) MUCH less time than if I had had to install them manually.

Going back on topic:

I agree with Verran on the multiplayer thing, its total BS that I need to connect to some server just to play with the guy sat next to me. And as he said, as a measure for preventing/reducing piracy, its TOTALLY BOGUS. I wouldn't be surprised if it was cracked before release, or within the first week. To date, I dont think there has been many/any game which hasnt been cracked. So they should just please there fans, and accept that the game WILL be pirated, but know that there fan base will buy it purely to support them and keep them making great games. By doing this, they are only getting at the PAYING customer. Just like all DRM, it punishes the user much more than the Pirate.

This is going way off topic, but saying "BAM all your games are wiped off the surface" is BS. What if you have a house fire, then BAM all games are wiped off too. If they are Steam games, you can still then log in at a friends house and play...

All I am saying is, its far more likey that YOUR games get stolen/destroyed/lost/etc than that they are "Wiped off the surface of Earth" by steam. You have proof you bought them, so even IF they where all gone from your steam list, you can just contact Valve and get them back. There support is EXCELLENT! When I had problems with Bioshock, they replied to my emails within hours. When my account got stolen, I had it back in 45 mins. And that was at 18:00.

I think the point is that Valve could have server issues or go out of business (its unlikely but anything could happen) and then you can no longer re-download your games if you haven't backed them up or at all...

I think the point is that Valve could have server issues or go out of business (its unlikely but anything could happen) and then you can no longer re-download your games if you haven't backed them up or at all...

In an interview awhile back, Valve told PC Gamer that if god forbid they had to shut down, customers would be given advanced notice to download and backup their games to discs.

Personally, i hate steam. I'll rather have my games in my shelf than in a server. The next thing you know it, BAM, all your games are wiped from the face of the earth. Plus, I want to keep the box and display it on my shelf, and it takes FOREVER to download from steam. ( I live far away from US)

I can understand this perfectly, I too prefer to have the physical copy like that, not to say steam is bad or anything though, I love it myself, I have only bought 2 games off of steam download though and that was because one(TF2) was half off at the time, and two(trine) was only available on steam, But I own probably 40 or so pc games and they all sit on my shelf, it is nice to display them too, just like a dvd collection.

Exactly. If it went out of buisness or the server got wiped the games will disappear.

Back OT though, i am 100% sure a crack will be released. Even though the no lan thing might be an annoyance, it won't be to much of an annoyance to deter me from buying the best RTS game of 2009(hopefully)

Back OT though, i am 100% sure a crack will be released. Even though the no lan thing might be an annoyance, it won't be to much of an annoyance to deter me from buying the best RTS game of 2009(hopefully)

Of course they'll crack it. And then, yet again, the only people suffering from DRM will be the honest, paying customer.

What bothers me is that Blizzard thinks they can beat the pirates. I can just picture some dude behind a desk thinking "Well, no DRM to date has ever stopped people from pirating games they want to pirate... but this time it's going to be different!"

It's all about control, ultimately. You have to check with Blizzard to make sure it's OK to play multiplayer every time. Heaven forbid a few roommates throw together a quick skirmish without Blizzard knowing about it!

They probably just want to gather the statistics so that they can rub it in our faces.

A bajillion 13 WOW players and a tragellian 12 SC2 multiplayers HA!

They probably just want to gather the statistics so that they can rub it in our faces.

A bajillion 13 WOW players and a tragellian 12 SC2 multiplayers HA!

I don't care why they want it like this. Most people don't.

Wow what? 100k out of the millions of people that will buy this isn't that much if you think of it.

I don't know about blizzard but I would add LAN for 100k people out of millions, I mean how can it hurt to add something that would end up in the game anyway? If they really cared about their profit then they would add it... I'm not really good with math but I suspect the game will sell for about 50 or 60 when it is released and that times 100k people is... like I said, I don't know, but it's not pocket change.

Also, I would think the reason for such a small number of support is because most people that will buy this game do not know the difference between LAN and Internet, like one of the idiots that commented on that page that said you could still do lan but you have to do it through battle.net, doesn't know what he is talking about.

Edited by Deathmineral