Starcraft 2 : No LAN

thebridgerofdoom

You mean, piracy?

Yes. I think you misinterpreted me here. I'm not trying to imply that they're wrong for putting a stop to it.

Was it nice to be able to play against my brother on a LAN game with just one CD key? Yeah, it was. Do I think it's wrong that SC2 won't allow that? No.

Either way, I have never lanned because I think it's ridiculous to have two high-end computers in a home anyway. Maybe an extra laptop for mobility.

You have never had roommates then, I'd bet. I lived in a house with five nerds in college and we LAN'd StarCraft and DiabloII a LOT.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of Diablo 2, I certainly hope they don't pull this kind of crap with Diablo 3, no way I am buy the game if they do.

What are you talking about?? People need to learn the difference between single player and LAN-play.

You mean, piracy?

Either way, I have never lanned because I think it's ridiculous to have two high-end computers in a home anyway. Maybe an extra laptop for mobility.

It wasn't piracy, it was a feature that SC allowed... and so did some other early RTS games (like C&C for example). And you didn't need a high end computer, even at the time, to play SC. Though I think a number of people here at OCC would disagree with you about having multiple high end systems in the house. ;)

What do you mean? It has the option for single player, lan, and internet. which I have played all on diablo 2.

Well you're the first person I've met that actually played D2 over a LAN then, and I can bet whatever they do in regards to LAN for SC2, they'll do the same for D3.

Well you're the first person I've met that actually played D2 over a LAN then, and I can bet whatever they do in regards to LAN for SC2, they'll do the same for D3.

Oh, well yep, I used to play LAN games with my cousin and my dad back when I played D2 all the time. I've played it online as well but didn't see the benefit since they delete your character after so long, didn't have to worry about that with LAN.

Oh, well yep, I used to play LAN games with my cousin and my dad back when I played D2 all the time. I've played it online as well but didn't see the benefit since they delete your character after so long, didn't have to worry about that with LAN.

The benefit was mostly in trading. Even if you didn't think you'd ever trade, it was always good to play on b.net so that you had that option available to you if for whatever reason you found yourself needing it.

As for the deletion of your character, the timespan was pretty huge, and if you had a high-level character, I'm pretty sure it was even greater. I remember logging in after a year and my 70-80+ level characters were still there. Maybe I should log in and see if any of my characters are still "alive". lol

You never played D2 over LAN? Maybe I'm misunderstanding but I thought that was quite common. Like I said before, when I lived in a house with 4 other nerds in college, we played D2 over LAN all the time. It was pretty much the same procedure as SC1, IIRC.

The benefit was mostly in trading. Even if you didn't think you'd ever trade, it was always good to play on b.net so that you had that option available to you if for whatever reason you found yourself needing it.

As for the deletion of your character, the timespan was pretty huge, and if you had a high-level character, I'm pretty sure it was even greater. I remember logging in after a year and my 70-80+ level characters were still there. Maybe I should log in and see if any of my characters are still "alive". lol

I can see the benefit of trading like that but for me one of the best things about D2 was spending hours and hours and hours and weeks trying to find just one special item drop from a monster in the frozen wasteland. Sadly I was only ever able to complete two sets of special name armor.

You never played D2 over LAN? Maybe I'm misunderstanding but I thought that was quite common. Like I said before, when I lived in a house with 4 other nerds in college, we played D2 over LAN all the time. It was pretty much the same procedure as SC1, IIRC.

I played D2 with my college roommates/friends all the time...and it was ALWAYS via B.Net.