newbie vid card advice.....

hey guys....new to the forum, first post and looking for some help..... i have been slowly piecing together what i want in a computer (basically a "budget" type of rig), not saying i am going cheap but not the most expensive either.....

my rig so far will be using a phenom II x2 550 BE, and i have a 19" monitor that can go to 1440X900..... i am already committed to sticking with ATi and was wondering what type of graphics card set up to go with.....any help/suggestions are appreciated......so far i have had my eye on a powercolor 4870, or some type of 4770.... will be starting with ONE card and in the next month or so stepping up to a CrossfireX set-up..... can anyone help steer me in the right direction??? thanks in advance for any replies

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just get the best card you can afford. The 4850 would be a very nice card at that res.

Or you can try the 4870, 4870x2. Or even the 4890 If you get a larger monitor.

I have an HD4870 512mb for my 19" samsung, and its perfect. Although I will upgrade to a 22" monitor soon to fully use my card.

Although an HD4850 would be fine for that resolution :)

But as Verran said, we really need to know your budget.

to be honest..... i also should divulge more info on what i have.... the mother board is a gigabyte ma-790x-ud4p.... any info needed i will get back right away..... as per the budget i was hoping to go less than or very close to $200CDN per card.....but as money is tight hoping to buy one and buy a 2nd within a month

would rather have it set up and then i can compare it to the current wanna-be rig........ and then a month later or so go to crossfire......

haven't decided on memory, or gpu setup for sure, (still doing the research, deciding what way to go) but have hdd's, cpu, power supply, and dvd drive, case, fans

thanks for your help! as i said, new to this so sorry if there is any lack of info on my end....... as i said, i have basically thinking of going with the powercolour 4870 i think its called the pcs version, OR some type of 4770, kinda leaning towards the xfx video card with the different (for a 4770) style cooler..... just more looking for advice on a size of card that will perform really well in this setup.......eventually ending up with crossfire anyways........ the 4770 is apparently quick but limited to the 128 bit memory interface..... i don't have the experience to know if that is ok with my size of monitor 1440X900...... i thought i read somewhere along the lines that 1GB of memory was a waste for anything under a certain resolution, so i am just looking for advice.....not trying to be lazy i am researching too, just alotta questions as i go.... first kinda do the research and grab type of computer

thanks again for the help and look forward to a response

Edited by slarsen83

well the memory amount helps with the post-processing (anti-aliasing, buffering, etc) so if you can sacrifice a little of that stuff you will be fine with the lesser interface. Also, from experience I know that plans to buy something later fall through more than any of us would like to admit so I would go with the most powerful single card you can now so that, JUST IN CASE they do fall through, you are set! On top of that you will have and even better rig when you DO drop another in :)

exactly what i am thinking!, but if i can only spend 200 at a time......

what is the better route then....2 4770's? or 2 4870's? i just want everything to work good at 1440X900 resolution..... and don't know really which is the better to go with?......

Relatively speaking 1440x900 is low resolution gaming, don't take that wrong because it's perfectly fine if your happy, and I'm sure a single 4870 will be more than enough for that resolution.

Cheers

Paul

exactly what i am thinking!, but if i can only spend 200 at a time......

what is the better route then....2 4770's? or 2 4870's? i just want everything to work good at 1440X900 resolution..... and don't know really which is the better to go with?......

It's weird that you say you can "only" spend 200 at a time, but that you'll be doing so twice within the span of a month. Couldn't you save the first $200 and then you'd have $400 to spend at the end of the month? I mean it's only a month. That's not that long and one $400 card is way better than 2 $200 cards in my opinion. You could save money by not having to buy a dual-GPU motherboard, or you could stick with the dual-GPU board and have much more room to upgrade. If you start off with two cards, your only upgrade path is to dump them both and start over. But if you get the best single card you can at the time, then you can just drop one more in for roughly double the performance later.

On that note though, if you don't plan on a monitor upgrade in the near future, then both of these configurations are going to be WAY overkill. SLI or Crossfire for 1440x900 is really just not going to do you any good. A single one of those cards would do fine for that resolution.

Actually, my recommendation would be to spend the first $200 on a nice video card like a 4890 or 275GTX (might be a bit of a stretch, but there's a few that low). Then, the next month I would buy a new monitor. You can get a 24" 1920x1080 monitor for well under $200. That would leave you with a screen that has a resolution that'll really look awesome AND a video card with enough firepower to run it. Getting away from that 1440 resolution would be a BIG step.

wow not really sure what to say here..... to be honest i am fine with the SIZE of screen i have and don't play anything at that resolution anyways (just not possible with my setup) so i thought with crossfire and keeping my monitor it might be cool..... i know it would be a step up from what i am used to as of now anyways

not that i don't appreciate the takes on the overall input..... but what about an idea as to if I would be happy going to a 4870 or 4770 crossfire setup? does no-one have this set-up to maybe shed some light on whether they like the set-up?

not trying to be stubborn, but that is just the way this setup is going to have to go right now.....

thanks again for the help