newbie vid card advice.....

wow not really sure what to say here..... to be honest i am fine with the SIZE of screen i have and don't play anything at that resolution anyways (just not possible with my setup) so i thought with crossfire and keeping my monitor it might be cool..... i know it would be a step up from what i am used to as of now anyways

not that i don't appreciate the takes on the overall input..... but what about an idea as to if I would be happy going to a 4870 or 4770 crossfire setup? does no-one have this set-up to maybe shed some light on whether they like the set-up?

not trying to be stubborn, but that is just the way this setup is going to have to go right now.....

thanks again for the help

With that monitor, at that resolution, either crossfire rig you propose would be spectacular. Of course, at that resolution, a single 4870 would be spectacular. You will not get your money's worth out of a dual card setup at 1440x900. And as for your comment, "i am fine with the SIZE of screen i have and don't play anything at that resolution anyways (just not possible with my setup)", wouldn't the point of all of this be to play at higher resolutions? I mean, if you have no intention of getting a better monitor, you could probably get away with just dumping the 8600gt and drop a 4890 in the hp slimline and away you go.

I understand the allure of a dual video card rig, I have had several. And when they work, they work well(and that is getting to be more often than not). BUT, even at 1920x1200, only the most entry level dual gpu rigs is not going to be bottlenecked. Even dual gtx260 216's just eat up 1920x1200 even in the most demanding games, and those cards are down to $150ish.

Dual cards are cool, and if you are dead set on going crossfire, just go with dual 4850's and call it a day. They will crush almost any game at that resolution. Anything above that would just be overkill for the sake of overkill. If a new monitor might make it into your plans, then go bigger.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

to be honest i am fine with the SIZE of screen i have and don't play anything at that resolution anyways (just not possible with my setup) so i thought with crossfire and keeping my monitor it might be cool.....

The point is that with a better monitor it would be possible. The maximum 1440 resolution on your current monitor is REALLY going to hold you back. You are quickly going to get to a point where spending more money won't make your system any better, because it's already maxxed out.

does no-one have this set-up to maybe shed some light on whether they like the set-up?

I have Crossfire 4850s, and I can tell you that they would be a huge waste on a 1440 monitor.

If you're dead set on running two video cards, then ANY two video cards you buy will be great, because it's all going to be overkill for that resolution. As an example: Let's say you buy one 4870 and you plug it in to your current system and current monitor. It is going to look great. You'll be able to play any game out right now and max settings (for 1440 resolution). Now, let's say you spend that extra $200 and add another 4870 into your system. Absolutely nothing will change. You will not get any more performance. Your graphics will not look better at all. That's because the single card is already maxing out the relatively low resolution of your monitor.

The point is that with a better monitor it would be possible. The maximum 1440 resolution on your current monitor is REALLY going to hold you back. You are quickly going to get to a point where spending more money won't make your system any better, because it's already maxxed out.

I have Crossfire 4850s, and I can tell you that they would be a huge waste on a 1440 monitor.

If you're dead set on running two video cards, then ANY two video cards you buy will be great, because it's all going to be overkill for that resolution. As an example: Let's say you buy one 4870 and you plug it in to your current system and current monitor. It is going to look great. You'll be able to play any game out right now and max settings (for 1440 resolution). Now, let's say you spend that extra $200 and add another 4870 into your system. Absolutely nothing will change. You will not get any more performance. Your graphics will not look better at all. That's because the single card is already maxing out the relatively low resolution of your monitor.

+1

Ok, well maybe in crysis you would get a few more fps, but that doesn't matter.

I would suggest, like everyone is, go with the best single card(GTX275/HD4890) and be happy with it. Even those cards are a bit overkill for your resolution.

ok perfect that couldn't have been said any better......so in term of future perhaps changing my mind and getting a better monitor......amd i better to go 4870's? or 4770? in general speaking here.....

thanks again for all the price i DO get what you are saying in sticking with my current monitor i am baacking myself in the corner.....its just the nicest MONITOR i have ever had and treats my very well.....purely had intentions of getting best performance i can out of it and perhaps i will have to be considering a monitor change in the future

scott

come to think of it.....the buying a 4870 now would be cool

then save for the new monitor and chuck this one on my girls computer

THEN buy my other 4870

now i just need to figure out what memory i should snag......

Edited by slarsen83

come to think of it.....the buying a 4870 now would be cool

then save for the new monitor and chuck this one on my girls computer

THEN buy my other 4870

now i just need to figure out what memory i should snag......

Now THAT sounds like a plan.

Trust me, I have an HD4850 on a 1680x1050 resolution, and I can max out any game with my setup at 1680x1050 (excluding Crysis, and Crysis only) while getting around 60 frames per second! This means my games run maxed out without any "lag".

You will have a card that is 30% faster on a resolution that is easier to run. It's certainly the right choice to get a larger monitor AFTER you buy your first card, and then buying a second.

Anyway, I was needlessly rambling.

What type of RAM do you need (DDR2?)

thanks alot guys.......opening my eyes here LOL, excuse the newb-ness....as for the memory yes i need ddr2 memory, just don't know whether to go 4GB or 2GB and 1066 vs 800.... i know this must be frustrating.... i am doing the research here, just kinda hoping someone on these forums might have experience with my board..... i have read that if you use more than two dimms on this board, then it defaults to 800 Mhz...... hence why i want to go to 2X2GB or 2X1GB.....just not sure on the 1066/800 part.....also more than half of the examples used on the Qualified Memory Vendors List i have never even heard of.... memory is now the LAST piece of the puzzle though and then off to get this thing built!

OK, now that I've gotten you to see the light, I'm going back to my previous recommendation :) You said you have two rounds of $200 to spend, right? So for the first one, you buy an ATI HD4890, which is an awesome card. It will be overkill for your current monitor, though. Then, in a month when you have your next $200, you buy a bigger monitor (probably 24" 1920x1080, given the budget). That card and that monitor will look AWESOME. And even more, if you love your current monitor, you can keep it and run two monitors on your PC. Lots of people do that.

As for memory, definitely go with 4GB (2x2GB). With prices the way they are now, you really can't afford not to. As for 800 or 1066, you really don't need any more than 800, so I'd recommend 800 with really good timings (4-4-4-12).

to be honest the two monitor idea for SOME reason does not appeal to me.....would rather just step-up from what i have.....

from the sounds of things i wouldn't be dissappointed in upgrading the monitor which i had never even THOUGHT of... and i will probably stock with my idea of crossfiring the 4870's....eyeing up a xfx 4870 XXX 1GB......toss that in and on to the monitor.....but before all that is just getting memory and getting it all put together.....

to be honest the two monitor idea for SOME reason does not appeal to me.....would rather just step-up from what i have.....

from the sounds of things i wouldn't be dissappointed in upgrading the monitor which i had never even THOUGHT of... and i will probably stock with my idea of crossfiring the 4870's....eyeing up a xfx 4870 XXX 1GB......toss that in and on to the monitor.....but before all that is just getting memory and getting it all put together.....

can't you squeeze for a 4890 into that budget??

or why not buy ccokeman's Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB, that card is assuredly better and probably cheaper than the xfx 4870

and i will probably stock with my idea of crossfiring the 4870's....eyeing up a xfx 4870 XXX 1GB.....

I just have to ask... are you ignoring my suggestion of a 4890 on purpose? I've recommended it twice now and you've just totally glossed over it. Given your price range it's definitely the right fit.

I just have to ask... are you ignoring my suggestion of a 4890 on purpose? I've recommended it twice now and you've just totally glossed over it. Given your price range it's definitely the right fit.

+1

The HD4890 is your best choice. You seem to be in love with crossfire, but don't get it. I know I have been wanting to get crossfire ever since I started out with my HD2900PRO, but it isn't worth it, your performance won't be that much greater and some games might not even run because of crossfire bugs.

The HD4890 also seems to beat the GTX275 if you want constant performance(GTX275 beats it sometimes, but other times totally loses). Do what Verran said, get an HD4890 and next month a new monitor. You can go with those HD4870's in crossfire, but you'll be wasting your money on something that you don't need.

You seem to be in love with crossfire, but don't get it.

That's the problem though, most people are this way and the reason is that they market SLI/CF as if any two-card configuration at all is just going to melt your face off. That's why pre-built companies can sell "high-end" systems with two low-end cards in SLI. People just think dual-gpu is just the most amazing thing ever and that's all they need to know.

My advice to the OP is to go out and look at some 4870 Crossfire reviews and see how they stack up against other higher single cards. Don't drink the kool-aid. Do some research and see for yourself that Crossfire/SLI is not as earth-shattering as you think it is. It's not bad. Heck, I have 2 4850s. I just recommend knowing what the performance really is and isn't because a lot of people really inflate the value of dual-gpus in their heads.