Sign in to follow this  
bedhead75

Is Nvidia EVGA 9800GT crashing at 80 degrees normal?

Hi, I noticed that the Nvidia drivers for my EVGA 9800GT are unstable over 80 degrees. This card has NOT been overclocked. When I run FurMark in Vista, the screen flickers, artifacts appear, and the screen goes black as the drivers crash shorter after reaching 80. The driver version is 185.85. What I'd like to know is...is there a problem with my card or is this something that happens to a lot of people because of the famous Vista/Nvidia driver problem? I thought cards are supposed to be stable at temperatures in the 80 to 90 degree range, and shut off only after 105+ or something. I already have 3 X 12mm fans in my case (front, back, top), but not a side fan blowing on the card. Would adding an extra fan there REALLY help? I can't seem to play any graphics intensive games without a lock-up after a few minutes. At first I thought it was bugs and problems in certain games, but it seems many games are liek this. Is it possible I have a defective card?

Hi, I noticed that the Nvidia drivers for my EVGA 9800GT are unstable over 80 degrees. This card has NOT been overclocked. When I run FurMark in Vista, the screen flickers, artifacts appear, and the screen goes black as the drivers crash shorter after reaching 80. The driver version is 185.85. What I'd like to know is...is there a problem with my card or is this something that happens to a lot of people because of the famous Vista/Nvidia driver problem? I thought cards are supposed to be stable at temperatures in the 80 to 90 degree range, and shut off only after 105+ or something. I already have 3 X 12mm fans in my case (front, back, top), but not a side fan blowing on the card. Would adding an extra fan there REALLY help? I can't seem to play any graphics intensive games without a lock-up after a few minutes. At first I thought it was bugs and problems in certain games, but it seems many games are liek this. Is it possible I have a defective card?

It's quite possible the card is bad, try a different version of drivers and make sure to do a full driver wipe too. If it still is acting up then I say give old EVGA a call :thumbs-up:

Edited by IVIYTH0S

80c is hot but I wouldn't think it's nearly hot enough to cause crashes. It might be hot enough to mess with an aggressive OC, but if your card is at stock I'd find it very hard to believe that temps of 80c are causing these problems.

do you notice anything weird in the time before it crashes? if so maybe try pulling the card and cleaning out the slot well. I had my cards freak out last week and it was just dust in the slots but mine dont get that hot. I just dont see why on a stock clock with fans on full you would hit 80c.

do you notice anything weird in the time before it crashes? if so maybe try pulling the card and cleaning out the slot well. I had my cards freak out last week and it was just dust in the slots but mine dont get that hot. I just dont see why on a stock clock with fans on full you would hit 80c.

At idle the temps are around 56 degrees. I'm running FurMark which is a stress testing utility for graphics cards. It really pushes them to their limits to check for stability. I was wondering if a temperature of 80 degrees was normal for a card to crash at. I've seen examples online where cards have been pushed to 90+ for 30mins. but still run fine.

At idle the temps are around 56 degrees. I'm running FurMark which is a stress testing utility for graphics cards. It really pushes them to their limits to check for stability. I was wondering if a temperature of 80 degrees was normal for a card to crash at. I've seen examples online where cards have been pushed to 90+ for 30mins. but still run fine.

The thing to keep in mind is that CPU temps and GPU temps are very different. Most people see 80c and they panic because on a CPU that would be a major cause for concern. GPUs, on the other hand, can handle a lot more heat. Most GPUs are rated from the factory to be able to handle well over 100c. Of course every card will be slightly different, but I've had plenty that were rated for 120-130c. Obviously we'd like to see them running MUCH lower than that, but that's why I say that 80c is hot, but it's not overly concerning. Lots of cards run around those temps with stock cooling. I really think your crashing is not temp related just because I don't think the temps are that concerning.

Ya i use furmark even when my 9800gtx(s) overclocked and on air they never crossed 62. BUt ya the card should handle 80c with no issues. how long have you had the card? and 56 is a high idle temp.....

Edited by motoray

Something that was not asked. About what is the temp in your room/office space?

I think that the heat isn't causing the crash, just that you have reached the limits of your overclock...

The thing to keep in mind is that CPU temps and GPU temps are very different. Most people see 80c and they panic because on a CPU that would be a major cause for concern. GPUs, on the other hand, can handle a lot more heat. Most GPUs are rated from the factory to be able to handle well over 100c. Of course every card will be slightly different, but I've had plenty that were rated for 120-130c. Obviously we'd like to see them running MUCH lower than that, but that's why I say that 80c is hot, but it's not overly concerning. Lots of cards run around those temps with stock cooling. I really think your crashing is not temp related just because I don't think the temps are that concerning.

I've only had the card since Dec. 2008.

Ya i use furmark even when my 9800gtx(s) overclocked and on air they never crossed 62. BUt ya the card should handle 80c with no issues. how long have you had the card? and 56 is a high idle temp.....

The room temp is around 25 degrees C.

Something that was not asked. About what is the temp in your room/office space?

I haven't overclocked the card. But what's funny is after calling customer service and trying all their recommendations and phoning back a few times, we found out that the bios in this card was an overclocked bios meant for a different card. Taking their advice and turning down the core clock and memory clock back down to the correct levels actually made things worse. An RMA was recommended.