Sign in to follow this  
kingdingeling

In the market for a 24-incher =)

As I said in my thread in the system builds section, I shall soon be putting together a new rig. However, I am currently making due with a 17" CRT that is just a steaming pile of crap for someone who used to have a 22" LG Flatron :lol:

Anyways, I think 24" sounds like a good size, they can also be had for around 220

Looks like the big decision you've yet to make is 1920x1200 or 1920x1080. When I first started looking I refused to "settle" for 1080p, but as I looked more I realized there's a substantial savings in going with 1080p and they seem to be getting a lot more popular. I ended up going with a Dell 24 1080p with HDMI for about $200, but it's since fallen to $180 or maybe even less. I have no regrets on not getting the 1920x1200 variety.

I have not had any problems with my games on 1080p. If you're curious, I made a thread to discuss the pros/cons of 1920x1200 vs. 1920x1080 a while ago. There's some good info in there.

All in all, I really like the 1080p. Sure, it'd be great to have 120 more vertical pixels, but with how cheap the 1080p panels are getting, I just couldn't justify the extra cost.

16:10 formats sometimes have black bars in a few games since they are designed for 16:9.

1080p all the way (good choice you made). I have a Samsung and it's great (16:10 though :()

I used to have a 22" LG Flatron 1680x1050 as well, but didn't really mind the black bars. But obviously, like everything you buy, I can't wait to unbox this beauty :D

16:10 formats sometimes have black bars in a few games since they are designed for 16:9.

1080p all the way (good choice you made). I have a Samsung and it's great (16:10 though :()

I've never had any black bars in anything I can remember? I could see if it was a really cheap and lazy port of a 360 game but I've never come across any. 16:10 FTW, 4:3 aren't very good for multimedia, and 16:9 isn't as good for non multimedia usage. I am happy with the midpoint, I really hope that 16:9 doesn't become the computing standard. (those new 16:9 laptops are atrocious)

Do you think a single HD4850 512mb can run a 24" monitor for gaming??

Depends on the games you play. Also, and this is just me nitpicking here but I want to make sure to clarify, the size in inches doesn't matter at all. It's the resolution that matters. If you're willing to drop the resolution down, the 4850 will do fine. If you want to play at max res (1920x1200 or 1920x1080) it'll be close. I have 2 4850s now, but I got my 24" (1920x1080) when one of them was out on RMA, so I had this very same config. I would say that in general it was fairly capable but I couldn't run settings at full in some of the more intense games.