Sign in to follow this  
cjloki

I don't know a darn thing about Wii (what to buy)

last nite the missus said she wants us(her) to get a Wii for the house to do the fitness thing and play a few games on but i have no experience at all with that. So could some experienced users please help me decide what to order and give suggestions as to what features and accessories to get for general home usage. ....thanx alot ......cj :D

I think Brawl is a necessity for all homes that have a Wii. It's great for little kids, and even the oldies have fun trying it out.

Some games that a gamer would like (not a general fitness user or w/e):

Metroid Prime 3

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Super Mario Galaxy

Can't say much for a person like your wife though.

Edited by tkrow21

Yeah, my wife bought the Wii fitness thing, and it got used about 3 times. Now it sits under our coffee table collecting dust.

It doesn't sound like you are super interested in owning a Wii, so I would suggest borrowing one from someone to let your wife try it out and see if she is relly going to use it.

THe Wife had to have one and well the only time it gets used is when the neices are here or the mom in law comes up stairs to play some fishing game. Other than that it just sits and sucks the juice out of the wall

Well, you'll have to get the base system. You'll also probably want to get the upgraded video cable (component) if you have an HDTV as it will make it look a bit nicer. If you plan to play together you'll want to look into getting an extra Wiimote and Nunchuck. It also sounds like she wants the Wii 'Fit' board because that's where most of the exercise stuff comes from. Beyond that, it's just games. Some good starters, IMO, would be Mario Kart, Twilight Princess, and definitely Super Mario Galaxy. Galaxy is an awesome game, but it's still really simple so even non-gamers can get sucked into it.

Even non-gamers want to play Wii Sports... you might find you actually like it :)

You can get accessories for the controllers, so they resemble steering wheels, golf clubs, tennis rackets, etc... They might seem gimmicky to the more seasoned console gamer, but can really help newcomers grasp the concept of a game controller as an input device (especially for the gyro)

You can get accessories for the controllers, so they resemble steering wheels, golf clubs, tennis rackets, etc... They might seem gimmicky to the more seasoned console gamer, but can really help newcomers grasp the concept of a game controller as an input device (especially for the gyro)

I haven't gotten into the "controller extensions" much myself, with the exception of the steering wheel and gun. The wheel is an absolute MUST for Mario Kart. The pros will tell you you can do more of the little tricks that help you win races if you use the standard Wiimote/Chuck configuration, but I don't play to win, I play because the game is just hilariously fun, so I always use the wheel.

I agree with ccokeman and brewmeister. The only time i play the wii is when my cousins come over and we play gh. Other than that it just sits there doing nothing. Go ask ur wife to borrow one first.

I agree with ccokeman and brewmeister. The only time i play the wii is when my cousins come over and we play gh. Other than that it just sits there doing nothing. Go ask ur wife to borrow one first.

That's kind of the nature of the Wii though. I would say what you're describing is pretty accurate for how much I use mine too, but I don't regret buying it at all. First of all, that's the beauty of the system being so cheap. You can get your money's worth even if you don't play it that often. Second, it's not marketed to people who want a system they're going to play for 8 hours a day. It's marketed at people who don't do much console gaming, and when they do they want something they can pick up for a half hour and put right back down.

When people list statistics of how many Wii users use their Wii for how little time per week or whatever, to me that's not a testament to a bad system, to me that's a testament to the type of audience that Nintendo is marketing to.

Ahh the Wii! I love my Wii, but it hasn't been on for a while.

This can be directly attributed to buying an HDTV. While the component cable really improves the picture quality a lot (it really does), I got bitten by the HD bug and went on a mission getting HD based content ... and an Xbox 360.

To be fair, neither get as much play time as they deserve. The Wii is a great party piece, but sadly, nobody wants to play me at Mario Kart outside party time, as nobody can successfully challenge me (in and around our household that is). Online can be good fun, but feels a bit sterile and characterless (even though the non-communication thing works superbly).

There are a stack of good games for the Wii, even though the graphics are not mega-spectacular. Graphics don't make the game alone :D

I think Brawl is a necessity for all homes that have a Wii. It's great for little kids, and even the oldies have fun trying it out.

Some games that a gamer would like (not a general fitness user or w/e):

Metroid Prime 3

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Super Mario Galaxy

Can't say much for a person like your wife though.

pretty much my list. With Wii Fit, brawl, and Guitar Hero 3.

Get Wii Play, it comes with another WiiMote and a game great value!

The Wii is a great party piece

This pretty much sums it up.

If she's just interested in Wii Fit, she'd just be better off getting some cheap exercise equipment.