Most Challenging Tech Activity

tkrow21

When I put together my first computer I WAY overtightened the screws into the standoffs, but not the standoffs themselves. Fast forward a year or 2 later to the day I tried to put my mobo into another case. That SUCKED!

Don't think anything is 'challenging" for me, just frustrating. Like math; You know what to do, but if you make a miscalculation you have to start all over again.

I use three fingers on each hand, is that proper or not?

Not quite, proper typing is ASDF for left hand and JKL: for right hand, the ideal placement for easy reach of almost every key on the board, thumbs on space bar. Really is a nice skill to have if you can learn it, my typing teacher from 9th grade could type like 160 or so words a minute or something, to me it is overrated though.

This isn't as challenging as it is tedious, but I had to make a map of every computer(Along with IP, model, Mac address, and other various information) For every computer in an office building. The reason, is so the guy who will end up maintaining the server will be able to find all the computers and identify them.

Well anyway, I was working on a computer(Needed a replacement MOBO) while making the map so I saved it locally to the machine.(Not onto the server)

I was gone the next day, the guy I was working with returned the computer to the owner(Located somewhere in the building, we don't know where)

So now, we have to go around to every computer in the building, in order to find the map, that has the information of every computer in the building, after we had done this about a week ago to gather the information for the map in the first place. :D

Getting Doom to run full screen smoothly on a 386... with sound... and like 4MB of RAM?

The total lack of internet and knowledgeable peers when I was 15 meant this was probably the most challenging...

Runners up include team projects on making a "robotic eye" tracking system, and Formula 1 game on PS2, both with hardly any documentation...

I think lack of resources/information gives me the greatest challenge... otherwise it's just difficult, tedious, or annoying (or all three?) :lol:

Most challenging (and rewarding) thing I ever did in computers and such was my senior design project in college. Most teams did the bare minimum project where they just ordered a robot kit online and assembled it. That's really all it was. No independent thought or anything, just plug the pieces in the kit together and get your grade.

We decided to be different and I'm so glad we did. My college (Western Michigan University) is well known for their visually-impaired rehabilitation programs throughout campus, so we decided to play into that. We built a software suite that could run on a laptop and constantly poll for any and all WiFi access points and record their signal strengths in our software. Using this, we were able to make an on-campus GPS-style navigation system using only WiFi access points. It was all designed with audio feedback (obviously) and adjustable strength tolerances to debug the act of actually "arriving" at a particular location (all points of interest in the system were WiFi points).

It was something unlike anything our professors had seen and they were all very amazed. The blind-rehab guy that sponsored it and helped us develop it was absolutely ecstatic. It's pretty cool to be able to make a difference like that.