Overclocking a Phenom II 940-need some hand-holding

well can't you lower the timings on your ram, I read that lower ram speed doesn't matter so much with the Phenom II's and what they really like is low latencies

I tried that, but no luck.... I will go intel for my next rig....

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm finding it hard to resist this combo http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDet...st=Combo.205339 . I may order this tomorrow and start another build. I probably won't overclock this one past 3.2Ghz. I also want to try this cooler http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/thermolab-b...cpu-cooler.html with a pair of Scythe 1900RPM 110 CFM fans.

I tried that, but no luck.... I will go intel for my next rig....

maybe try different memory, 3.7ghz isn't anything to be sad over. If you wanna go higher, you gotta trust your chip. heck my Q9450 wanted alotta voltage, so I gave it alotta voltage and knew it wouldn't give out on me. It fold's 24/7 at 4ghz now

Edited by IVIYTH0S

How much voltage are you pushing on that Q9450? What's your NB voltage?

I actually forget off of the top of my head since it's been quite a while since I set them to what they are (and I'm currently down the shore on my laptop) but as soon as I get home on saturday I'll tell ya

Well that Phenom II x4 940 and Biostar 790GX motherboard combo expired as I went to order it today :(. I went ahead and ordered 8GB of Mushkin DDR2 1066 today and will buy a Q9650 within the next week or two. I think I'll buy just one Q9650 for the main rig and one Q9550 for the secondary rig. I'll wait for the next can't miss newegg combo and be ready the next time around.

Well that Phenom II x4 940 and Biostar 790GX motherboard combo expired as I went to order it today :(. I went ahead and ordered 8GB of Mushkin DDR2 1066 today and will buy a Q9650 within the next week or two. I think I'll buy just one Q9650 for the main rig and one Q9550 for the secondary rig. I'll wait for the next can't miss newegg combo and be ready the next time around.

Why not a Q9450 for $180

and a Q9550 for $210

don't get the Q9650, it's stupidly overpriced and honestly you could get a 940 and a motherboard for the same price or cheaper than the Q9650 and also meet or exceed it's performance

I mean heres a 940 for only $150

The Q9650 would be for an existing system-upgrade. I wouldn't need to sink alot of money into a total platform change. Already have a quality cooler and motherboard that I really like. Selling the Q6600 would offset the cost. I've had bad experiences buying parts from ebay so that's really out of the question for me. I need a retailer that will stand behind the product they sell. I'll pay more for peace of mind. I'm pretty set on the Q9650. It's well within my price range. Now the secondary system will probably get a Q9550. I'll buy another Phenom II X4 940 for a 4th system when I find a good sale at a good value. I was really upset about missing that newegg combo. That was a good value.

Edited by rourkchris

The Q9650 would be for an existing system-upgrade. I wouldn't need to sink alot of money into a total platform change. Already have a quality cooler and motherboard that I really like. Selling the Q6600 would offset the cost. I've had bad experiences buying parts from ebay so that's really out of the question for me. I need a retailer that will stand behind the product they sell. I'll pay more for peace of mind. I'm pretty set on the Q9650. It's well within my price range. Now the secondary system will probably get a Q9550. I'll buy another Phenom II X4 940 for a 4th system when I find a good sale at a good value. I was really upset about missing that newegg combo. That was a good value.

either way I say just run two Q9550's and give the lower clocking one to your secondary build, the Q9650 is just dumb.

Agree to disagree? I think it's far from dumb. The DC project I run is worthwhile IMHO and I like to get the most out of my hardware. Both are worth the investment to me. I know the multiplier is 9 verses a Q9550's 8.5 which is of little difference but it will allow a lower FSB to get the Mhz I desire(if the Mhz is possible) and potentially allow for slightly lower voltages to the motherboard(NB, VTT). I've pushed this X38 P5E pretty hard for short periods before and was able to suicide 4Ghz on my Q6600 and run 3.6Ghz stable DC 100% load 24/7. I've had it for 18 months and want at least 18 more months out of it worry free. The board runs very cool and I wish to keep it running cool with the lowest voltages possible.

I really do appreciate your help and advice so don't think that I don't respect your opinion. I'm just really set on the Q9650 and that's where this PC is headed.

Agree to disagree? I think it's far from dumb. The DC project I run is worthwhile IMHO and I like to get the most out of my hardware. Both are worth the investment to me. I know the multiplier is 9 verses a Q9550's 8.5 which is of little difference but it will allow a lower FSB to get the Mhz I desire(if the Mhz is possible) and potentially allow for slightly lower voltages to the motherboard(NB, VTT). I've pushed this X38 P5E pretty hard for short periods before and was able to suicide 4Ghz on my Q6600 and run 3.6Ghz stable DC 100% load 24/7. I've had it for 18 months and want at least 18 more months out of it worry free. The board runs very cool and I wish to keep it running cool with the lowest voltages possible.

I really do appreciate your help and advice so don't think that I don't respect your opinion. I'm just really set on the Q9650 and that's where this PC is headed.

I guess so....It always feels all the better when you overcome the companies' plots though, like I love how my Q9450 has gone to levels most Q9550's don't even see. You better clock that Q9650 4ghz or higher if I'm going to respect it. :)