Overclocking a Phenom II 940-need some hand-holding

As the title says I'm attempting to overclock a Phenom II 940. I really feel left in the dark here and need some hand-holding(not literally) to get me through it. Plenty of experience with Core2 Quads on Asus motherboards but the addition of HT link has me confused. I found the Core 2 overclocking guide stickied here of immense help before but don't see a similar resource for AMD chips. I guess the confusion stems from not understanding the functions of all of the BIOS options.

System specs are as follows:

AMD Phenom II 940 black edition quad core cpu

Asus M4A79 Deluxe 790FX motherboard

8GB Mushkin DDR2 1066 5-5-5-15

CPU cooler Prolimatech Megahalems with 2 Scythe 1900 RPM 110 CFM fans in a push-pull setup

PC Power and Cooling 750 watt Silencer

1TB WD Black HDD

ATI 3870

Lite-On DVD burner

VID is 1.35V. I've upped the multiplier to 17.5. With the multiplier set here the highest I can raise the bus is 202 without crashing. Currently have things set at 3300Mhz, CPU 1.35V, 16 multiplier, 200 bus speed, and 1806 HT link. Temps are around 35C each core and 41C 100% load. Keeping the settings here until I get a grasp of what I'm doing.

4Ghz is the goal but 3.6-3.8 is of course acceptable. I just can't get there on my own. Any help would be appreciated!

BIOS settings are as follows:

CPU Voltage 1.35V

CPU/NB Voltage auto

CPU VDDA Voltage auto

DRAM Voltage 2.1V

HT Voltage auto

NB voltage auto

NB 1.8V Voltage auto

SB Voltage auto

ACC enabled

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the title says I'm attempting to overclock a Phenom II 940. I really feel left in the dark here and need some hand-holding(not literally) to get me through it. Plenty of experience with Core2 Quads on Asus motherboards but the addition of HT link has me confused. I found the Core 2 overclocking guide stickied here of immense help before but don't see a similar resource for AMD chips. I guess the confusion stems from not understanding the functions of all of the BIOS options.

System specs are as follows:

AMD Phenom II 940 black edition quad core cpu

Asus M4A79 Deluxe 790FX motherboard

8GB Mushkin DDR2 1066 5-5-5-15

CPU cooler Prolimatech Megahalems with 2 Scythe 1900 RPM 110 CFM fans in a push-pull setup

PC Power and Cooling 750 watt Silencer

1TB WD Black HDD

ATI 3870

Lite-On DVD burner

VID is 1.35V. I've upped the multiplier to 17.5. With the multiplier set here the highest I can raise the bus is 202 without crashing. Currently have things set at 3300Mhz, CPU 1.35V, 16 multiplier, 200 bus speed, and 1806 HT link. Temps are around 35C each core and 41C 100% load. Keeping the settings here until I get a grasp of what I'm doing.

4Ghz is the goal but 3.6-3.8 is of course acceptable. I just can't get there on my own. Any help would be appreciated!

BIOS settings are as follows:

CPU Voltage 1.35V

CPU/NB Voltage auto

CPU VDDA Voltage auto

DRAM Voltage 2.1V

HT Voltage auto

NB voltage auto

NB 1.8V Voltage auto

SB Voltage auto

ACC enabled

I just found this nice guide from searching thread after thread and saw someone posted it up. It definitely made me more knowledgeable on this chip

I just found this nice guide from searching thread after thread and saw someone posted it up. It definitely made me more knowledgeable on this chip

Thanks IVIYTHOS! That's what I really needed. After reading the link you provided I'm well on my way. Right now I've successfully overclocked it to 3612Mhz. That guide cleared up a lot of questions.

Settings:

CPU Ratio 18.00x

FSB Freq 200Mhz

DRAM 1067

CPU/NB Freq 2200Mhz

HT Link Speed 2.0Ghz

CPU Voltage 1.45v

CPU/NB Voltage 1.4v

CPU VDDA 2.5v

DRAM 2.1v

HT Voltage 1.28v

NB Voltage 1.28v

NB 1.8 Voltage 1.8v

SB Voltage auto

Temps at full load are 49 C.

Thanks IVIYTHOS! That's what I really needed. After reading the link you provided I'm well on my way. Right now I've successfully overclocked it to 3612Mhz. That guide cleared up a lot of questions.

Settings:

CPU Ratio 18.00x

FSB Freq 200Mhz

DRAM 1067

CPU/NB Freq 2200Mhz

HT Link Speed 2.0Ghz

CPU Voltage 1.45v

CPU/NB Voltage 1.4v

CPU VDDA 2.5v

DRAM 2.1v

HT Voltage 1.28v

NB Voltage 1.28v

NB 1.8 Voltage 1.8v

SB Voltage auto

Temps at full load are 49 C.

glad to have helped!! :)

I can't wait to start tweaking my 940

Set it back down to 3511Mhz as the temps are 45C at full load and the voltages are low and MB temps are good.

Settings:

CPU Ratio 17.50x

FSB Freq 200Mhz

DRAM 1067

CPU/NB Freq 2200Mhz

HT Link Speed 2.0Ghz

CPU Voltage 1.4v

CPU/NB Voltage 1.3v

CPU VDDA 2.6v

DRAM 2.1v

HT Voltage 1.28v

NB Voltage 1.28v

NB 1.8 Voltage 1.8v

SB Voltage auto

Temps at full load are 45 C.

Set it back down to 3511Mhz as the temps are 45C at full load and the voltages are low and MB temps are good.

Settings:

CPU Ratio 17.50x

FSB Freq 200Mhz

DRAM 1067

CPU/NB Freq 2200Mhz

HT Link Speed 2.0Ghz

CPU Voltage 1.4v

CPU/NB Voltage 1.3v

CPU VDDA 2.6v

DRAM 2.1v

HT Voltage 1.28v

NB Voltage 1.28v

NB 1.8 Voltage 1.8v

SB Voltage auto

Temps at full load are 45 C.

is that your stopping point? or is that the point of diminishing returns?

Edited by IVIYTH0S

For the temp I want to remain at vs. the speed I want 3.5Ghz just seems to be the sweet spot for me on this setup. Anything over 3.6Ghz just takes to much voltage to stabilize. I've been able to reach 3.8Ghz and keep it stable but the voltages it takes to get there are way too high for my comfort.

This is a HTPC and a dedicated Rosetta@Home cruncher. It's far too much hardware for an HTPC but I wanted to have enough CPU power for DC crunching and as a 3rd PC backup as well as play with an AMD system which I haven't done in a few years. Next project is to upgrade my 2 Q6600s to Q9650s and see if I can hit 4Ghz. After that an i7 may be in order. I will say as far as the Rossetta@Home project goes the Phenom II 940 performs very well, much better than anticipated.

For the temp I want to remain at vs. the speed I want 3.5Ghz just seems to be the sweet spot for me on this setup. Anything over 3.6Ghz just takes to much voltage to stabilize. I've been able to reach 3.8Ghz and keep it stable but the voltages it takes to get there are way too high for my comfort.

This is a HTPC and a dedicated Rosetta@Home cruncher. It's far too much hardware for an HTPC but I wanted to have enough CPU power for DC crunching and as a 3rd PC backup as well as play with an AMD system which I haven't done in a few years. Next project is to upgrade my 2 Q6600s to Q9650s and see if I can hit 4Ghz. After that an i7 may be in order. I will say as far as the Rossetta@Home project goes the Phenom II 940 performs very well, much better than anticipated.

Ya I got a Phenom II 940 for my dad since his old 3200+ computer is an absolute sloth. I really like it so far and am always willing to clock anything I have as high as it can go (intelligently). People said my Q9450 would have croaked months ago but it hasn't and probably won't for a while. I don't think it's necessary to switch from a Q6600 to a Q9650 since the performance difference is so negligible that it'd be wasted money. The 940 really is a better quad for the money unless you can find a Q9450/Q9550 for the same price range and get as lucky as I did. Though I guess the savings on the processor wouldn't matter if you have to get an all new motherboard to support it anyway. I still say a step from a Q6600 to a Q9650 is a waste of money (and a large part of that is how much higher the Q9650 is in price from the Q9550 for that matter).

If anything make your Q6600's the backup computers and then run the 940 you have as the main computer

On Intel processors the L2 cache makes a noticeable difference in the Rosetta@Home project. An increase from 8MB L2 cache to 12MB L2 cache will be worth it to me. I'd also like to upgrade to the 45nm fabrication and extend the life/usefullness of these 2 platforms. I'll probably defray some of the cost by selling the 2 Q6600s. Admittedly though it does seem a bit of a cost increase but I want the upgrade to have a couple of side projects. I have too much spare time :)

On Intel processors the L2 cache makes a noticeable difference in the Rosetta@Home project. An increase from 8MB L2 cache to 12MB L2 cache will be worth it to me. I'd also like to upgrade to the 45nm fabrication and extend the life/usefullness of these 2 platforms. I'll probably defray some of the cost by selling the 2 Q6600s. Admittedly though it does seem a bit of a cost increase but I want the upgrade to have a couple of side projects. I have too much spare time :)

Then atleast get the Q9550's, or maybe one Q9550 and my Q9450 so I can get an i7 :D

I can get my 940 to 3.6GHz with a multi of 18 on a 1.37V... At the moment, that's the highest/stable setting I can get her to go. I tried the other way, but I don't know of it's worth it because I have to drop my ddr2 1066 to 800, max fsb is 30, which overclocks her to 3.4GHz (ram to 940) and raise the multi till it hits 3.65GHz... I don't think it's worth lowering my ram for.5GHz...

Hope that helps....

Be careful with your voltages....

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.p...p;#entry1690577

I can get my 940 to 3.6GHz with a multi of 18 on a 1.37V... At the moment, that's the highest/stable setting I can get her to go. I tried the other way, but I don't know of it's worth it because I have to drop my ddr2 1066 to 800, max fsb is 30, which overclocks her to 3.4GHz (ram to 940) and raise the multi till it hits 3.65GHz... I don't think it's worth lowering my ram for.5GHz...

Hope that helps....

Be careful with your voltages....

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.p...p;#entry1690577

well can't you lower the timings on your ram, I read that lower ram speed doesn't matter so much with the Phenom II's and what they really like is low latencies