Can only run 1 stick of RAM?

Me and My brother recently built new rigs. Mine is i7 and runs fine once i changed the RAM to the other slots cause my screen wouldn't turn on :withstupid: My brothers has a Q9400, Gigabyte UD3RL mobo, DDR3 1333mhz kingston RAM 6GB kit, Coolermaster 650W psu, Gigabyte GTS250 gfx card.

The problem is when we tried to run it with all 3 ram sticks = 6GB it started but froze like with 5 mins of use. Even when we first tried to install the OS it froze through that. So we tried 2 sticks=4GB and nope still froze. Tried 1 stick=2GB and it runs fine. We tried all sticks in all slots every combo and it will only work with 1 stick. We tried diff cpu, gfx cards, diff ram, hard drives everything and it still froze. So we thought it was the mobo. Replaced that and still the same problem.

Any ideas guys cause a brand new computer should not have this problem. :angry2:

Install one DIMM, go into BIOS, check the timings and voltages.

Power down, try adding the others in a "triple channel" configuration (see your manual).

If that doesn't work and you've run memtest86+ on the individual sticks (and passed), then it's probably the motherboard or CPU.

Install one DIMM, go into BIOS, check the timings and voltages.

Power down, try adding the others in a "triple channel" configuration (see your manual).

If that doesn't work and you've run memtest86+ on the individual sticks (and passed), then it's probably the motherboard or CPU.

Ok thanks. Ill try that. We just replaced the mobo and still same thing. Also tried diff cpu's. Ill see how i go.

• 3 weeks later...

Could it be the psu? Its a coolermaster 650W and it runs fine with 1 stick of 2G ddr3. As soon as you put 2 sticks which is 4 gig or 3 sticks which is 6 gig it starts up and runs for about a minute then freezes. Mb has been replaced. It must be the power supply.

Could it be the psu? Its a coolermaster 650W and it runs fine with 1 stick of 2G ddr3. As soon as you put 2 sticks which is 4 gig or 3 sticks which is 6 gig it starts up and runs for about a minute then freezes. Mb has been replaced. It must be the power supply.

Did you try what Nate suggested to you above?

You seem to be all over the place just replacing parts at random. You need to calm down and use logic. I'm about 99.5% sure it's not the power supply because the power supply would have no effect on this situation. Unless you're implying that it can power 1 stick but when you put in the second it just can't take it. That's crazy-talk. One RAM stick uses an incredibly small amount of power. It's certainly not enough to overload your power supply.

I think Nate was on to something above and I'm curious if you tried what he suggested.

Will that help? His problem is the ram.

Vdimm is the voltage to your ram. So yes, it absolutely could. It may not be getting enough which would cause it to fail. Raising vdimm will give the memory more voltage which will stabilize them.

Well the mb has 4 slots. so we tried all different configurations. It runs fine with 1 stick why not 2 or 3. I dont understand. I have not tried what nate said. I will then report back.

Why did your brother go for a triple channel kit when the motherboard he has chosen, socket 775 only requires a dual channel kit.

Stay with 2 sticks in that board, hence the reason you have 4 slots.

i7 (your board) has the triple channel memory feature.

Running memtest on each stick is a good idea plus when trying 2 (don't bother with 3 sticks) see what happens.

If memtest fails increase the voltage slightly.

Also why not try your G.Skill memory (2 sticks) in his Gigabyte board? (And the Kingston in your i7)

Is this your brother's board?

GA EP45T UD3LR