Windows 7 32 to 64

Kusmariini

So the topic description tells the main things. I want to upgrade my Windows 7 from 32 to 64 bit without losing personal files. Thanks guys! =)

As far as I know, you are going to have to completely reinstall the OS. I don't know if it is possible to upgrade the architecture like that while saving personal files. I'd back up my personal stuff on a different hard drive, reinstall the OS, then copy them back over.

As far as I know, you are going to have to completely reinstall the OS. I don't know if it is possible to upgrade the architecture like that while saving personal files. I'd back up my personal stuff on a different hard drive, reinstall the OS, then copy them back over.

So if I store my program files (the most files I need to save) from C: to D: and reinstall windows to C: and then put the program files back on C: ?

All my other files are on D: already =)

So if I store my program files (the most files I need to save) from C: to D: and reinstall windows to C: and then put the program files back on C: ?

All my other files are on D: already =)

That would work, just don't do what "my friend" did, stop paying attention, and install the OS on the drive you just backed your stuff up on to :unsure:

just a question , why dont you just partition your harddrive?

it seems like far less hassle to have a 20-35gb dedicated partition hdd space , so changing OS is a breeze , and all your infos are safely stored on the other partition :D

just a question , why dont you just partition your harddrive?

it seems like far less hassle to have a 20-35gb dedicated partition hdd space , so changing OS is a breeze , and all your infos are safely stored on the other partition :D

That's the way to go! 20-35GB isn't nearly enough though. I made mine 50GB and I'm tight on space after installing Office/Visual Studio/Photoshop :O

That's the way to go! 20-35GB isn't nearly enough though. I made mine 50GB and I'm tight on space after installing Office/Visual Studio/Photoshop :O

Well , you could just make it OS only and install programs else were. mines actauly set at 100gb just incase i install games in the wrong place (Cod4)

20gb should fit Vista ultimate 32/64 , altho i would allow for extra space for futrue proofing , if you like to keep harddrives til the end

Well , you could just make it OS only and install programs else were.

You can't reinstall the OS and have the programs on another drive and expect them to work. Nor moving Program Files to a separate drive.

There is information throughout the Registry, and in User and Application Data folders that is required by programs.

Backup YOUR files (music, video, work, etc)... reinstall programs... don't use system drive for your data in future

Um.

it is built into Windows 7.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/pc-backup.aspx

Windows Easy Transfer.

Worked fine going from XP 32bit to Windows 7 64bit for me, so should work for the OP.

I know the OP wanted to "upgrade". But seriously, the install is so easy and the backup and restore using the above tool is much easier than backing up your stuff elsewhere then putting it back later. Let the program do the work and go drink a beer. Root beer if you are under 21.

Edited by taowulf

I wondered that... If I backup my registry (with some kinda program, dunno if possible), back up these folders:

C:\Users\Admin\Appdata

C:\ProgramData

C:\Program Files

to D: and then I'll install the 64 version and move these files back where they were? Or atleast the files I can =)

Btw, thanks for the replies ;D