New Water Cooling Setup

Hey all, I have just purchased and installed a Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultima Liquid Cooling Kit i was wondering what temps should i be expecting? i have OCed my Q6600 Core 2 Quad so its running at about 3Ghz. idle its at about 37 and when underload at 47 i was hoping for it 2 be much lower than this as in the future i was hoping 2 get a little higher than that say to 3.6Ghz if my mobo will handle it, my friend has just bought a new PC, hes got an i7 920 running at 3.6Ghz and is between 40-65 degrees when idle and on load... he paid 80 bucks for his CPU fan in it is doing pretty much the same cooling, can this be right?

Hey all, I have just purchased and installed a Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultima Liquid Cooling Kit i was wondering what temps should i be expecting? i have OCed my Q6600 Core 2 Quad so its running at about 3Ghz. idle its at about 37 and when underload at 47 i was hoping for it 2 be much lower than this as in the future i was hoping 2 get a little higher than that say to 3.6Ghz if my mobo will handle it, my friend has just bought a new PC, hes got an i7 920 running at 3.6Ghz and is between 40-65 degrees when idle and on load... he paid 80 bucks for his CPU fan in it is doing pretty much the same cooling, can this be right?

With water cooling it depends on the ambient temp and also things like humidity etc, also did you check that its fastened down correctly? also what TIM are you using? if your using as5 it takes a few days to "break in" so to speak and temps will drop a few more degrees from what you have now.

Those temps look alright though, im getting a little lower with my i7 but its winter here atm, so the ambient temp is pretty low haha.

they do seem high temps. but with my water it holds the higher overclocks better then air but stays about the same on small overclocks. also the core i7 is a 45nm architecture and the Q6600 is 65nm so the Q6600 will run hotter anyway its just how it is.with my old Q6600 the diffrence with water was very small on air 3.5ghz was 35c on water it 3.5ghz was 32c but when i really pushed the cpu the like 4ghz air would not hold it but with water is was stable 4ghz at 45c. i dont no why it dose this but thats how mine has worked.

if its still hot it can be a airlock in the radiator.

this is my first build so i wouldn't be surprised if i did something wrong. does it matter which way the cpu block faces? i have my different to how the manual shows it, also i dont think i spread the thermal paste very well... i have the inlet and outlet of the radiator at the top as it is sitting verticaly so it should self purge. whats TIM btw

TIM is thermal interface material. just a abbreviated word for thermal paste. like artic silver 5, or whatever

um i just used the one that came with the water cooling kit... i might by some new stuff... i have got a new pc comming in a few days with a new 360mm radiator so il c how it goes