Sign in to follow this  
upok

Lots of psu failures

So I have a small computer repair business. Maybe 150 clients, 3-4 evening jobs a week is not too far out of the norm.

Anyway, in the last week, I have had 4 seperate clients, living in different parts of town, all suffer psu failures. There has not been any bad storms or sweeping power outages. Actually, the weather has been pretty mild save a couple of rainy days. The computers range from an ancient dell, a 4ish year old gateway to a custom build with an antec TruePower in it. Has anyone else had a surge in psu failures recently?

Just struck me as curious.

I have had a lot fewer problems with that since I put UPS on my computers.

The power here is not very stable.

As always... I'd be dissecting those PSUs and looking at the condition of the capacitors, the Antec should be salvageable/repairable (further adding to your resale profits) :D

I've heard that the True Powers are the worst of Antec's lineup, but they're still pretty good.

Hope you figure something out!

At work I've had in the last 4 days 3 bad PSUs, and two dead motherboards (and possibly the PSUs aswell, but considering I work in retail the repair cost on a motherboard ends in "screw it ill buy a new PC" 95% of the time, I really don't care (btw $250 to "fix whatever's broke" flat fee once you move past ram/PSU/other simple crap :O))

Granted we've got a lot more people bringing in "spare" PCs that are broke now that we have 50% of on tech work @ staples. (and no as a whole I do NOT recommend staples for tech work much like any other retail chain, though like all of them some stores are great, some not so great, all depends on who they hire at that location.)

One thing to keep in mind though is that all but one of these PCs was over 3 years old, and we HAVE had several storms recently.