Such thing as a Silent 500GB+ HDD?

Munkypoo7

Heya Guys, lets see, where to begin....

Right now, as im typing this (everything is backed up on separate 80GB drives) my 1TB Drive is doing that Click-Click-Click sound, meaning its about to die or it is and just feels like screwing with me...

So since i have to buy a new drive anyways im looking in the 500, 640, 750 and 1TB capacities for the quietest drive possible, i want to stay with 32mb cache and 7200rpm for speed / performance

This is what i am running for maybe another day unless it fatally shuts off now...

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000333AS (copied from Newegg) (maybe its the firmware updates the nerfed it, idk but its lated for about a year now :( )

So um yea, any purchasing recommendations would be appreciated, I'm obviously looking at the larger name brands like Seagate, WD, Samsung and Hitachi, price is preferred to be sub $120

Sites like Newegg, Zipzoom, NCIXUS, and Tigerdirect all work for me, or just put the name here and ill check the sites....

Time to heat up that laptop and start using it, give the pc a break :S

Thanks in Advance,

~Munky

I have 2 Western Digital Caviar Blacks (750GB ea) and a Seagate Barracuda (750GB) and both are quite silent. I have to take my case side off and stick my ear down by the bays to hear them spinning but as far as clicking goes when reading/writing, I don't have any problems with them.

Check out the Caviar Black if you are looking for an HDD. I have heard bad things about 1TB Caviar Blacks, but the 750GB are much faster compared to my Barracuda. :)