Iphone 3GS and ATT.

Actually, most of my long winded post pointed to gripes with Apple, not AT&T. ;) My beef with AT&T is the slow network, lack of feature support...

I still think AT&T could do better when it comes to contracts and upgrades... iPhone related or not . If you buy an iPhone + 2 year contract they recoup the cost during the life of that contract... the way I see it, if they allowed someone to "upgrade" the phone (at the subsidized price) during the contract and extended the contract another 2 years, AT&T would actually be in a better position while still recouping the cost of the original and new phones during the life of the contract.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, most of my long winded post pointed to gripes with Apple, not AT&T. ;) My beef with AT&T is the slow network, lack of feature support...

I still think AT&T could do better when it comes to contracts and upgrades... iPhone related or not . If you buy an iPhone + 2 year contract they recoup the cost during the life of that contract... the way I see it, if they allowed someone to "upgrade" the phone (at the subsidized price) during the contract and extended the contract another 2 years, AT&T would actually be in a better position while still recouping the cost of the original and new phones during the life of the contract.

The argument I have been seeing around for that point is that it is bad business practice to put people in a contract more then 2 years at least in the mobile market. I think thats why they don't want to do it...

My solution was to offer a slightly subsidized price for people who are in contracts, maybe just knocking $100 of the original price would go a long way to ease people's wallets and ATT would still be making a killing! I am up for the full discounted price so it dosen't matter for me.

I pre-ordered my 3GS a week ago and plan on getting it on Friday. I also found out that if your a student and or work for a company that has a partnership w/ ATT you might qualify up to a 15% discount on your monthly bill, this is only for call time though and data and text plans don't apply. But Its something off your bill at least :)

My biggest complaint with American Cellular companies is that they are really lacking behind other countries in terms of rolling out the new technologies. It sucks when we have year old tech compared to most countries around the world who are rolling out the latest and greatest tech...

The other issue I have with ATT is that they have the most Bars in places nobody is located... I have to go outside and sometimes drive up the street from my home just to check my voice mail.. I am hoping the 3G network is better here as I heard that they were devoting more of their Cell towers to the 3G network then the old 2G... So we will see on Friday :)

• 2 weeks later...

That's pretty much what Telus does FOR me. I always sign into a 3 year contract with them to get the lowest price on the phone (ie. just did it to get a blackberry storm for $150). However, my contract didn't end until next febuary. Instead of adding the 3 years onto the end of feb 2010, they renewed for contract for 3 years starting the date I bought it. So really, I cut out of my contract 1 year early, no penalty, and got a brand new phone out of it.

If you in Canada, I highly recommend Telus. If you want the iPhone, I'm not sure who to go with. Telus actually does give a damn about their customers. When I call, I am transferred to a customer loyalty department if I want to make changes, and get great deals from them not avaliable to new suscribers...and I've only been with them 5 years.

$25 data plan normally gets you 500mb, instead I got unlimited data. Plus a bunch of other great perks.

AT&T sounds like they can learn something from Telus.