27 replies to this topic

#1 greengiant912

greengiant912

hl2.exe has stopped working

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:04 PM

So yeah, alot of people are upset over the new GS, not so much with its features but more with its provider, ATT. Its not a lie that many Iphone users and loyal Apple fans have been upset with the subpar service ATT has provided over the past three years, but this seems like it is really drawing the rage out of these people. If we all know one thing its never ever piss off an Apple Loyalist :P

http://www.macrumors...to-iphone-3g-s/

That is not the only issue that users are upset about, the lack of MMS and Tethering in the US is a huge upset for users. People are currious why there is going to be support by 20+ providers on the release date of 3.0, but yet ATT is unable to support it? Its an issue that is making alot of people upset.

For me personally I have been upset with ATT's service for awhile now, unable to get a signal in my home most of the time, and having to walk outside to make a call (this could of been due to a down tower this past winter and they had a temp tower in place near my home) However I am still hardly getting any reception. To be fair too, I have a first gen iPhone and the metal case has been known to cause issues with signal thus why Apple put the plastic part on the bottom of the phone and went with an all plastic solution for the 3G.
http://www.macrumors...ing-in-the-u-s/

I know we have a few other iphone users out there and I was just curious of what your reactions where?

Knowing Apples professionalism when it comes to making products that are solid, ATT dosn't really meet this 'solid' business model that Apple cherishes....

XBL  PSN  STEAM

MSI Z68A-GD65(G3) - Intel i7 2600k - eVGA GTX570 Classified - 16gb Gskill DDR3 - Windows 7 Professional x64

15 inch Macbook Pro with Retina Display - Apple iPhone Xs 256gb - Xbox 360 Elite - PlayStation 3 (Slim) - Nintendo Wii - Xbox One - PlayStation 4 Pro

#2 kingdingeling

kingdingeling

King of the Autobahn

• Folding Member
  • 10258 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:32 PM

Kash and I were actually just talking about that earlier after we met for dinner, I think it makes sense for the carriers. They subsidise the contracts and now people are getting pissed off because they essentially want something that is not specified in the contract? People should learn to fulfil contracts!

Now about AT&T in general, I am currently sporting a prepaid card from them in my iPhone 2G, which just plain sucks! I barely get any internet connectivity and the bastards even charge me for calling a 1-800 number... <_<

I guess I have no excuse for not being as awesome as King... - iKillSteal

Seriously, big credit goes out to King for maintaining this list. He puts a lot of work into this thing and he deserves our thanks! - Verran

RIP

| ThinkPad X1 Carbon | Core i5-4210U | 8GB DDR3L-1600 | Intel HD4400 | 256GB SSD | 14" WQHD |

#3 Kash

Kash

Long Time Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5491 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:04 AM

The subsidy issue is only an issue because people are idiots. Like king said, they thought one thing while the contract, that they agreed to might I add, said something else. This is funny since contract subsidies have never been an issue before with other phones, it was accepted as part of the deal. Yet they somehow think they should get special treatment when it comes to Apple and iPhones. People can kick and scream all they want, they aren't going to get what they want, nor should they.

I personally haven't had any issues with AT&T service, but then again, I've lived on the coasts near large cities (NY and LA), so coverage was never an issue for me. However, I can see how the people living in the Midwest and South could be experiencing service issues.

Intel i5 2500K | Gigabyte Z68
16GB G.Skill PC3-12800 (9-9-9-24) | EVGA GeForce GTX 560

#4 taowulf

taowulf

Certified Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:30 AM

Kash and I were actually just talking about that earlier after we met for dinner, I think it makes sense for the carriers. They subsidise the contracts and now people are getting pissed off because they essentially want something that is not specified in the contract? People should learn to fulfil contracts!

Now about AT&T in general, I am currently sporting a prepaid card from them in my iPhone 2G, which just plain sucks! I barely get any internet connectivity and the bastards even charge me for calling a 1-800 number... <_<

News flash. 800 numbers are toll free (hence "toll free number") which means no long distance charges from a landline phone. They are not airtime free.

P.S. Except for the tethering thing, the solution to no MMS and being stuck with AT&T's network (which has been crappy since the days of IS-136) is the T-Mobile G1 and the Verizon Blackberry Storm.

Stupid Apple. Stupid AT&T.
Dataseed - DFI P35-T2R - Intel E6850 Core2Duo @ 4Ghz - 2GB (2x1024) Geil Black Dragon EVO ONE [email protected]66Mhz - eVGA 8800 GT Superclocked 650Mhz/950Mhz - 2x Maxtor 75GB 6Y080m0 SATA RAID 0 - 750GB Hitachi Deskstar- Pioneer DVD-RW DVR212D SATA - OCZ GameXStream 700W - Samsung 226BW - Logitech G15 Keyboard - Razer Diamondback - WinXP Home SP2- Coolermaster Stacker STC-T01 Cooling - Danger Den MC-TDX - Danger Den IONE - Swiftech MR320QR - DDC 3.2 w/Petra top - 1/2 Inch Tygon - Zalman ZM-MFC1 Plus Fan Controller

Dead March - DFI Lanparty NF590 SLI M2R/G - AMD64 4200+ X2 [email protected] aircooled w/Zalmann CNP9500- 2GB (2x1024) OCZ Platinum XTC PC6400 DDR2 OCZ2P8002GK - 2x eVGA 7900GS KO SLI - 40GB Maxtor -10GB IBM Deskstar - 500GB Seagate Barracuda- Antec Truepower Trio 500W - Dell 2005FPW - Unbuntu 7.10 w/ MythTV -Hauppauge WinTV PVR-500 MCE -Antec Lanboy

#5 d3bruts1d

d3bruts1d

Posting Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9957 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:30 AM

A few things I found irritating... first was Apple promoting the phone at $199 & $299. If they had simply said "new subscribers" it would have been understandable. It's very misleading, and I'm sure there will be lawsuits over it once the iPhone 3G S actually goes on sale. Of course, I understand the whole subsidizing of the cost. I didn't expect to be able to upgrade the wife's iPhone 3G to a 3G S less than a year after getting it. That's just common since... however, if AT&T were smart about the process, they would have offered the phone at a slightly discounted "full" price and then extended the original contract for another two years.

With a first generation iPhone, I am eligible to upgrade to the 3G S at the discounted price w/ contract. As much as I use the phone, the faster speed would be really nice to have. I've been sitting in places where I get no service, and the wife's iPhone 3G is at full strength. There is simply no comparison to loading sites in Safari, even sites that are not iPhone friendly (like OCC). Will I get the iPhone 3G S? Lord knows I want to... I really want to. Right now, I'm being held back by AT&T. I joined under Cingular, and have a very nice family place + rollover.... however, I'm not happy with AT&T's actions and network.

AT&T's exclusive with Apple expires at the end of the year. Word is that Verizon may be getting iPhone love starting in 2010. Would I switch my iPhone's to Verizon? Absolutely.

Though I have to say, I'm still pissed off at Apple with the iPhone 3.0 OS. MMS and video recording are not available on the iPhone EDGE due to "hardware limitations"? BS. Jailbreak your iPhone and you have those abilities. Other EDGE phones have those abilities. And it doesn't change the fact that Apple (and AT&T) should have included those features in the iPhone on Day 1. AT&T not supporting MMS until "later this summer" is stupid as well. They've known this was coming for a while now and they have had more than enough time to prepare for this roll out.

Tethering isn't that big of a deal to me. I've never had a need for it. WiFi is easily available these days (Starbucks, MacDonald's, Krystals, Panera, air ports, malls, etc.) if I need internet on a notebook, I'll find it... and cheaper than what AT&T will charge for it. - Ironically enough, WiFi at Mac D's and Starbucks is via AT&T. :(

I think the Apple keynote at WWDC gave clear message that Apple was not at all happy with AT&T. Those slides of iPhone providers that are "ready to go" had to be a slap across the face of AT&T management.

I love my iPhone, I use it more than my PC, Mac, TiVo, 360, PS3, and every other piece of technology I own. I'll be upgrading to a new iPhone at some point in time, just not sure if it will be with AT&T or some other provider in the coming year. Though my lack of self control will probably see me locked into a new AT&T contract for 2 years... which may not be bad, because by then 4G networks should start being rolled out. ;)

The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent that of OverclockersClub.com, its affiliates or sponsors.
If you enjoy my ramblings you may want to visit my blog, follow me on Twitter, or friend me on Facebook.

#6 Verran

Verran

RIP 1981-2009

• Honorary Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7026 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:20 AM

The subsidy issue is only an issue because people are idiots.

:withstupid:

They signed a contract and they have to see it through. You can't just trade up phones whenever something new comes out unless you want to pay out the backside, and that's always been the case. Nothing new here. People just want everything for nothing.
Posted Image
[E7400 Gaming]~[Q6600 Burning]~[Opt148 Wife's]~[3200+ HTPC1]~[3500+ HTPC2]
"Thank you for helping us help you help us all."

#7 Kash

Kash

Long Time Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5491 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:06 AM

AT&T's exclusive with Apple expires at the end of the year. Word is that Verizon may be getting iPhone love starting in 2010. Would I switch my iPhone's to Verizon? Absolutely.

Care to share where you got that tidbit? Based on all reports when the iPhone first came out, Apple and AT&T have a five year exclusivity deal, which means the contract doesn't end until summer of 2012. I believe this is still the case unless there has been some modification of the contract that I haven't heard about.

Intel i5 2500K | Gigabyte Z68
16GB G.Skill PC3-12800 (9-9-9-24) | EVGA GeForce GTX 560

#8 usaweapon777

usaweapon777

• FW Team Member
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:25 AM

i must be lucky. i live in the countryside in pa and have good coverage with att here. My father has an iphone 3g and he has had no issues. I love the iphone and the 3gs but i must admit that att has really dropped the ball lately, however i think i might still drop my blackjackII and get one

#9 greengiant912

greengiant912

hl2.exe has stopped working

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:25 AM

Care to share where you got that tidbit? Based on all reports when the iPhone first came out, Apple and AT&T have a five year exclusivity deal, which means the contract doesn't end until summer of 2012. I believe this is still the case unless there has been some modification of the contract that I haven't heard about.

From what I understand it was set to expire in 2010, and ATT has been on its hands and knees begging Apple to extend it to 2011.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/163151/

XBL  PSN  STEAM

MSI Z68A-GD65(G3) - Intel i7 2600k - eVGA GTX570 Classified - 16gb Gskill DDR3 - Windows 7 Professional x64

15 inch Macbook Pro with Retina Display - Apple iPhone Xs 256gb - Xbox 360 Elite - PlayStation 3 (Slim) - Nintendo Wii - Xbox One - PlayStation 4 Pro

#10 d3bruts1d

d3bruts1d

Posting Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9957 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:19 AM

Lots of sites have covered the news over the last year or two... AppleInsider, MacRumors, TUAW, Gizmodo, ComputerWorld, PCWorld, Ars, etc.

http://www.computerw...ticleId=9132150
http://arstechnica.c...one-in-2009.ars
http://www.usatoday....on-iphone_N.htm

The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent that of OverclockersClub.com, its affiliates or sponsors.
If you enjoy my ramblings you may want to visit my blog, follow me on Twitter, or friend me on Facebook.

#11 ClayMeow

ClayMeow

Member Title Exceeds Member Title Character Limit

• Review Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19463 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:15 AM

The iPhone being AT&T only is the main reason I haven't gotten one. Although I live in a major area, Verizon still gets better coverage overall (it's funny being able to talk/use my phone while on the LIRR under water when iPhone users get cut off. lol).

Yes, there are ALTERNATIVES to the iPhone available on other networks (and God knows I'd rather have a non-Apple product), but they just don't offer the what the iPhone offers; mainly, the apps. If I could get, say an LG Vue, and be able to access the Apple Store and use apps from there, that'd be awesome...unfortunately, that can't happen, and I doubt Apple would ever allow that....at least not as long as the iPhone keeps selling bajillions.

CMt.png
- Steam - Raptr - Xfire - GameSpot - Kongregate - IGN Blog -
- ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe - i7 3770k - NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti - 16GB DDR3-1866MHz - Acer Predator X34 -
::: Follow OCC on facebook.png ::: OCC Xfire Clan ::: OCC Steam Community Group ::: OCC Rules :::

::: OCC E3 2013 Awards ::: CES 2013 ::: COMPUTEX 2010 :::

::: NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV Review ::: Acer Predator X34 Review :::

#12 Verran

Verran

RIP 1981-2009

• Honorary Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7026 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:40 AM

The iPhone being AT&T only is the main reason I haven't gotten one. Although I live in a major area, Verizon still gets better coverage overall (it's funny being able to talk/use my phone while on the LIRR under water when iPhone users get cut off. lol).

This is almost true of me as well. I've never paid for a data plan before so I'm not sure I would be willing to pay the relatively high monthly fee for the features you have to have with the iPhone, but maybe. But AT&T is definitely a deal-breaker for me. AT&T isn't so great in my area from what I've heard from people who have it here, plus Verizon works so well for me that I can't see leaving them. Literally all of the people I call regularly are Verizon, so I use practically no minutes on my monthly plan. Besides that, their coverage is great.

I can see why AT&T would be begging and pleading to keep the iPhone exclusivity, though. That's got to be driving their business like crazy. I know so many people who have gone to AT&T just for the iPhone.
Posted Image
[E7400 Gaming]~[Q6600 Burning]~[Opt148 Wife's]~[3200+ HTPC1]~[3500+ HTPC2]
"Thank you for helping us help you help us all."