Sign in to follow this  
Maggot Brain

looking to upgrade my card

Hey, I currently have a 24" monitor that runs the resolution of 1920x1080. My current video card is a 9600gt which I've found performs less than adequately for this resolution.

I'm looking to eventually upgrade my card so that I can max most new games out with this monitor. The main game I play is Team Fortress 2 though and I'd like to be able to max that while maintaining good performance.

So basically if someone could recommend a card that would be great. Price wise no more than $300 if possible.

I'd get a gtx260 or gtx275. For the price i'd be leaning more towards the 260.

What's the general consensus on the 9800gtx+, will it be okay on my res or will it underperform? Thanks for the recommendations by the way. Also, are the Nvidia cards a better value than the Radeon ones, or is it more of a toss up.

Well the 9800gtx is a bit old now. The gts250 is basically a rebadged 9800gtx. But if yo uhave the money to spend a gtx260 or or up is quite a bit better.

As far as AMD or Nvidia...it's more of a personal preference. I've always prefered Nvidia for their (imo) better driver support. If you're into [email protected] then Nvidia is better at that too so thats something to consider.

A gtx275 is in the same range of preformance as a HD4890 and a HD4870 is comparable to a gtx260. 275 is a great card. if you can afford it you will be able to use that card pretty long.

There are a few 4890s for as low as $200-230.

There's a good deal on newegg right now on an HIS 4890 1GB with a free copy of Stalker for $200. I'd link it but I'm on my IPhone.

Hey guys... I'm Canadian and I'm considering getting this:

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=376...mp;promoid=1087

does 250 CAD seem like a good deal for a 275?

Also, would it be worth paying 10 dollars more for: http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=374...manufacture=XFX

How long will the 275 keep me going for? Like, will it be able to max (or get good performance) with games for a few years?

thanks.

Edited by Maggot Brain

Hrmm, I'm curious as to what games you can't play at 1920x1080. The only games I have ANY problems with are Crysis and Crysis warhead, and GTA IV. Everything else plays like butter at max res. I have Assasin's creed, Wolverine, Hawx, Ghostbusters, Far Cry 2, Prototype, all the Need for Speeds, GRID, Burnout, Warcraft, FEAR 1 and 2, Sims 3, World in Conflict, etc...

The 9600GT is a pretty darn good card for the money. Anything you can't play on a 9600GT I would imagine you can't play on a 9800GTX either. You MIGHT get 5-10 fps difference.

Edit: reading owns me. I've never played TF2, it must be pretty intense to crumble a 9600gt. I may have to check that out...

Edited by 9KRacing