GTX285 aftermarket coolers

Hi,

I am looking for an after market cooler for my GTX285.

tbh, I am not bothered if it cools any better than stock, all I am looking ofr is near silence at idle, and moderate silence at load. The stock cooler is by far the loudest part of my system.

I have so far found 2:

Arctic Cooling Extreme GTX280

Thermalright HR-03 GTX

I have read a couple of reviews for the AC cooler, and overall they seem positive. I have not read anything about the thermalright cooler, but I have a HR-03 + for my old 8800GTX, and tbh, I did not like it.

It cooled well, but took up too much space, and the ram-sinks kept falling off.

Are there any others I am missing?

Like I said, my only criteria really is that it is very quiet.

Thanks!

thats a hard choice You wont be ablt to run SLI on the Thermalright. Plus Thermalright shows not specs on temperatures I ALWAYS go with a company that does the research and testing and isnt affraid to show u what there product does but thats me. So i would choose AC, PLus i love sli so its nice to know if u want a second card later you wond need 2 new coolers. Have you considered water cooling??

I've ordered the AC coolers for my 275s. There is a thread on techpowerup that you might want to check out on this cooler. It is pretty positive except for concern about the VRM heatsink supplied with the cooler not really cooling as well as they'd like. In the case of the 285, the supplied VRM heatsink wont fit as it is designed only for the 280. I also ordered a Thermalright GTX 285/260 heatsink set for my VRMs and I hope they clear the bottom of the cooler. I have the coolers and am waiting on the TR heatsinks. Maybe I'll post some comments once I get that all put together.

To motoray, I have an intel chip set board, so SLi is a no for me any ways. Even if I could, I don't really buy into all that.

To tj, thanks for the link, I had already read that article, and that was where my concern came from. However, I did not know the VRM heat sink from that pack wouldn't fit the GTX285 :(

Ill hang back and see how it goes with you. :P If you could please post some pics when your all done, and just let me know what you think of it. Also, what Thermalright heat sink hit did you order??

Thanks!

Take a look here for the specs and installation instructions for the GTX 285/260 VRM Heatsink (Thermalright's name). Another thing I came across so far is that the instructions that came with my cooler did not apply to my cooler but you can download one from Arctic Cooling.

I'll be sure to upload some photos of the install, and if I feel up to it, some before and afters of temps. I have the fan kit so maybe I'll fire off some pix to keep me busy until I get the heatsinks which I found out are in transit :(

That guide is abit scary! It dosent show installation of ANY heatsink on the power regulation or memory? I am to assume from that, it is not needed?

Pics of your install would be great!

That guide is abit scary! It dosent show installation of ANY heatsink on the power regulation or memory? I am to assume from that, it is not needed?

Pics of your install would be great!

For some reason it appears that AC is assuming you do not need any heatsinks on the VRMs for the 260/275/285's. I'm not taking any chances.

Progress Report: I finally had a chance to start working on the card this morning. I'll upload some photos later to show how it's going. In the meantime:

This cooler is big in all dimensions, in fact bigger than my BFG card with it's cooler on. I need to do a test fit in my Thermaltake Element S case at some point but I expect it to be tight.

It looks like the sound card in the PCI slot on the P6T motherboard has got to go. It looks like the cooler is going to hit it and block the airflow a bit. So it's either onboard or a PCI-e card for sound.

The Thermalright VRM heatsink kit looks mostly like a winner so far and clears the back side of the AC cooler nicely. I still used one of the AC heatsinks for one area. The HSI heatsink supplied with the AC cooler does not fit and ther was none supplied with the VRM heatsink pack since it came with the TR HR-03 heatsink. Looks like this. I've started taking the hacksaw to the supplied heatsink and need to finish that and I should be good to go.

i had an accelero xtreme on my 8800gts, and it's easily the most awesome heatsink i have ever owned.

it was silent, cool, and it made my card look like a star destroyer or something. after owning that i would highly recommend any arctic cooler.

I'm really looking forward to lighting it up once it is done. I saw that Scythe has a VGA heatsink kit that has a HSI heatsink which might do the job. However I don't feel like spending mo' money and besides, using a hacksaw can be quite therapeutic as long it is safely used. :smack:

I almost have it done, just have to do some mods to the fins on the coolers to clear some caps and that'll do it for one card. If you go back to the TechPowerup thread, you'll see a lot more stuff and I jumped in on it as well and they have been a big help.