HD4850 FREEZE!!

ive been using a XFX HD4850 XXX Edition card for around 2 months. Ive reinstalled windows twice but the freezing issue hasnt stopped!. Only FIFA 09 and 3D Mark Vantage seem to work without any freezes. Other games such as Sims3 ,Crysis/Warhead,Far cry2 all freeze after some time! Im using a Gigabyte nforce650sli motherboard and a overclocked @2.8ghz E2140 cpu. Help me out please!

Well, if you've reinstalled twice, chances are, it's not the OS or drivers (unless you reinstalled everything exactly the same way - highly doubtful :lol:).

I'd start by verifying your stability, run Prime95 or OCCT for a couple of hours. See if you get an errors. If not, try lowering your graphics card's clocks and running some graphically intense tests (furmark or try your games again). If, with rather large underclocking, it's still having trouble...well...I'd keep looking. You can also try running the OCCT power supply test and see if it freezes (I'm not really finding much info about your Fortrex...)

Good luck! :)

are you sure it's the video card freezing?

is this just a game freeze or a system freeze (can you get out of the game using ctr/alt/delete to get to task manager and end task on the game or does it require a hard restart)?

would try putting everything to stock settings (out of whatever may be overclocked)...

are you sure the cpu overclock is stable?

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

im pretty sure that its not the games that are freezing because once it freezes nothing works at all. The keyboard doesnt respond. I'l do a p95 oc stability test today. By the way if it can run 3dmark vantage at high settings which i think draws a lot more of power than the games i mentioned....can there stll be a problem with my PSU?

if nothing works at all when it happens, it's probably not the video card freezing...

it's probably either due to the psu or a cpu overclock.

if a stability test can be passed for around 12 hours then you should be safe with the entire system including the psu...

if unable to pass a stability test try stock settings and see if the problem persists.

perhaps after returning to stock settings you can start over with any overclocking...

make sure to test for stability the whole way through with each setting change when overclocking.

back to the graphics card for a little more info though...

is the graphics card overclocked?

have you tested it with furmark?

if so, what are the temps?

if it's not overclocked...

what are the temps?

if it's overclocked, you should try the same stability testing with furmark...

if not and the temps are okay, you should probably rule out the graphics card as the problem atleast until verifying the rest of the system's stability.

edit: just noticed the transcend ram, never heard of it before...

is it quality ram?

not too sure about the science behind overclocking ram, but it may be limiting the cpu overclock and causing the instability as well...

or it just may not be up to the challenge.

have you matched ram and fsb speeds appropriately?

Edited by Maj0r Gamer