Need help choosing PSU

Do you people live in a world without zip-ties or something? Since when is wire management so hard? I swear people make it out to be some incredibly daunting task. People put way too much value into modularity.

The TX is the obvious choice IMO.

LoL... while wire management might be easy to you, I've witnessed the majority of home built computers.... it's not pretty man. :lol: You can deffinetly make your case look clean as heck with some time spent, some zip ties, and some forethought. Most people don't though. Not to mention the most comon mistake I see lately is people oversizing their PSUs. While it doesn't use any more power than it needs and therefore isn't wasting any power, it IS wasting money that I feel could be spent better somewhere else. While either PSU would work fine, the 750w would be overkill for his current setup, and I'm pretty sure I just read another thread where you preached the disadvantges of future-proofing. ;)

Not to mention the most comon mistake I see lately is people oversizing their PSUs. While it doesn't use any more power than it needs and therefore isn't wasting any power, it IS wasting money that I feel could be spent better somewhere else. While either PSU would work fine, the 750w would be overkill for his current setup, and I'm pretty sure I just read another thread where you preached the disadvantges of future-proofing. ;)

Paul's comparison from before:

HX520W = $155.00

TX750W = $159.00

$4 is not a matter of future-proofing, it's a matter of "duh!". $4 for 230W is a no-brainer any way you slice it. I'm not recommending the 750W for future-proofing, I'm recommending it because it's a "can't afford not to" situation. It's a great value and the cost difference is negligible to just about anyone.

If the poster found the 520 for $20 cheaper then that's a different story and I'd recommend the 520. It's not for the modularity though, I think that's grossly overrated. People make it sound like partaking in wire management without modularity will result in a trip to the emergency room and a computer that's so hot it catches on fire. In reality, the difference is generally minor (and non-existent with the liberal use of inexpensive zip-ties).

Verran is quite right about modularity, it is mostly useless. Most cases have plenty of space to allow decent wire management. When it comes down to modular or not, go without it unless your case is quite cramped.

Modular PSUs work well with really crappy cases, in which case most of the wires sort of jumble up, right where the CPU and chipset is. With properly designed cases, you don't need them.