Project natal

Desktop-pro

AGREED

The Wii (and other motion devices) is fun but honestly if I want to have fun standing up and moving my body around I'll just go outside a play a physical game, build something or do some other physical activity.

When I want to game I want to relax, take my mind off things and just immerse myself into another world or scenario...

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.p...howtopic=165045

Personally, I like Sony's better, though I think they're both gimmicks and have little use in "REAL" gaming

I disagree I think the future is in this type of technology. Since the first video game, the goal was always to make an experience in which you are in control of the virtual environment. Since the first holodeck on the USS Enterprise in Star Trek TNG we have always wanted technology like that in our homes.

While I think we are some ways off in bringing this piece of science fiction to life, I really think that we are going to see it in our lifetimes. Look at all the 'Science Fiction' that has already come to life since this technological revolution has started.

We have Flat Televisions, Touch Screen interfaces, Cell phones, computers that you can fit in your pocket!

The next step is to create interactive entertainment.

I think the microsoft solution is really the best as it requires no physical device to play! That means you can just walk into the room and the sensor picks up your movements and translates them into the game. This is the first step in creating holographic technology, we needed to create a system that was able to track and respond in real time to what the user was doing. Natal is the revolution, in the next few years as the technology is perfected I can see the next leap in entertainment would be creating holographic type environments in the home! Granted this could be decades away but it will come in our life time.

Like I said Natal is different from Nintendo Wii, and Sony's solution, they both require a physical piece of hardware, where Microsoft's solution dose not.

Not only is this technology exciting for the gaming world, but think of it in the terms of User Interfaces, for various applications, touch screens will be obsolete, being able to control things Minority Report style!

Edited by greengiant912

I disagree I think the future is in this type of technology. Since the first video game, the goal was always to make an experience in which you are in control of the virtual environment. Since the first holodeck on the USS Enterprise in Star Trek TNG we have always wanted technology like that in our homes.

While I think we are some ways off in bringing this piece of science fiction to life, I really think that we are going to see it in our lifetimes. Look at all the 'Science Fiction' that has already come to life since this technological revolution has started.

We have Flat Televisions, Touch Screen interfaces, Cell phones, computers that you can fit in your pocket!

The next step is to create interactive entertainment.

I think the microsoft solution is really the best as it requires no physical device to play! That means you can just walk into the room and the sensor picks up your movements and translates them into the game. This is the first step in creating holographic technology, we needed to create a system that was able to track and respond in real time to what the user was doing. Natal is the revolution, in the next few years as the technology is perfected I can see the next leap in entertainment would be creating holographic type environments in the home! Granted this could be decades away but it will come in our life time.

Like I said Natal is different from Nintendo Wii, and Sony's solution, they both require a physical piece of hardware, where Microsoft's solution dose not.

Not only is this technology exciting for the gaming world, but think of it in the terms of User Interfaces, for various applications, touch screens will be obsolete, being able to control things Minority Report style!

I disagree 100%. How is Natal creating interactive entertainment if all you're doing is moving your body around? Sorry, but you NEED a device in your hand for full immersion in most games.

Natal is nothing like the holodeck. What makes the holodeck experience good is that you're actually immersed in the "world" around you. You can touch and use things as you would in normal life, and you can move around without restriction. If you look at all the demos they showed for Natal, the one thing they all had in common, was that you were never actually controlling a person's movements. What are you going to do, start jogging in place to let the game know you're running forward?

Furthermore, don't think that just because it's straight out of "science fiction" that it makes it fit for gaming. You cite touch screen interfaces, but the main use is not for gaming. Touch screen doesn't help in immersion...in fact, it takes away from it.

If you want to talk about Natal from a technological standpoint, that's one thing...but don't kid yourself that this is the next big thing in gaming.

I disagree 100%. How is Natal creating interactive entertainment if all you're doing is moving your body around? Sorry, but you NEED a device in your hand for full immersion in most games.

Natal is nothing like the holodeck. What makes the holodeck experience good is that you're actually immersed in the "world" around you. You can touch and use things as you would in normal life, and you can move around without restriction. If you look at all the demos they showed for Natal, the one thing they all had in common, was that you were never actually controlling a person's movements. What are you going to do, start jogging in place to let the game know you're running forward?

Furthermore, don't think that just because it's straight out of "science fiction" that it makes it fit for gaming. You cite touch screen interfaces, but the main use is not for gaming. Touch screen doesn't help in immersion...in fact, it takes away from it.

If you want to talk about Natal from a technological standpoint, that's one thing...but don't kid yourself that this is the next big thing in gaming.

Well sir let me say this with the least amount of disrespect possible. Your wrong. Period. First of all I never said it was like a holodeck, I said it was a step towards bringing that technology to light. The need to track a users movements will play very heavily when we finally do have the technology to create artificial environments.

You don't need a physical device to game, where in the 'law of gaming' dose it say that? The problem has always been creating a user interface that would be able to do what you needed it to do.

I also think your looking at this way to short term. While the technology might not be perfect for some applications it will be refined and made better... Its like telling the creator of the cell phone he is crazy, phones will never be small enough to carry around...

I think you need to give it some time, alot of what Microsoft, and Sony showed was highly experimental and still prototypes.

Saying that lets talk about a system that has utilized motion type control for the past two years, that of course is the Wii.

The one complaint about the Wii was the fact that you needed the bar on the top of the TV to sense the motions, if you pointed the controller away from the tv it wouldn't work great... I think they solved this issue with the Wii Motion plus. I think they should build the new Wiimotes with this feature in them.

The Wii doesn't have a great graphics platform either and has lots support from alot of the big name developers making the blockbuster titles. I think that is kinda why people are getting bored with the Wii. I also think that is why your a little skeptical about Microsoft's solution, saying its just a gimmick.

Granted it isn't 100% the 'future' yet, but all I was saying it was a step towards some really amazing technology that we have only seen in science fiction. Natal is just the beginning, and I will agree that there are some flaws with what I have seen of it, but with all things technological it will be improved upon eventually.

We all know your real reason too clay, you don't wana give up your controllers! :-P, I don't see why Microsoft just doesn't start working on a brain implant to let me control my games :-\

With some applications I can see Microsoft utilizing the controller as well, as you are right on one thing is that some aspects you can't do with motion sensing.. Such as running (you would run out of room, and running in place is stupid.) and obviously firing a weapon. You could use them together to create a cool experiance.

For example an FPS like call of duty, you could use the controller to shoot and such, but Natal could also be used to sense crouching, prone, aiming, etc.. You would obviously need more controls in that situation...

We will see what Microsoft shows in the future, to be honest I think their videos where a little vague, but they are prototypes, hopefully in the next few months we will see more of what this technology can do.

Edited by greengiant912

^Types too much. lol. I dont believe this will impact much of anything at all except maybe other technologies. Not exactly great for gaming but for security purpose would be cool. Like at home or the car.

^Types too much. lol. I dont believe this will impact much of anything at all except maybe other technologies. Not exactly great for gaming but for security purpose would be cool. Like at home or the car.

:withstupid: Exactly. This type of technology has great use in other avenues, just not gaming.

Waving your arms in the air does not increase immersiveness...if anything, it decreases it. greengiant, you mention controlling games with your brain. They've already been working on tech to control the mouse and certain actions with your brain (and it works fairly well), but it's main use is to help disabled people, not for gaming, and that's how it'll remain. Not sure why anyone would want to control a game with their head. How does that make it more realistic? Do you have telepathy, telekineses, etc. in real life?

both Microsoft and Sony are far too late to try and step on the Wiis toes with their new tech. Don't get me wrong, it's a very cool idea, and i'm sure a lot of people will try it out, buy it, and love it, but i'm already sick of it. i get more joy out of playing Rock Band or Guitar Hero or Killzone with controllers or extra peripherals than I ever have with my Wii, Wii Fit, and even Punch-Out! and that's a REALLY fun game.

it's a great tech, and i'm sure families will pick up on it on day one, but for me and others like me, we'll probably stick to our Halos, our Killzones, our Half-Lifes, our Rock Bands, our DDRs, our WOWs, and our general gaming tech that uses controllers or peripherals that give you the sense that you're doing more than pretending to drown while standing up.

someone above me definitely hit the nail on the head when saying if I want to do something physical, i'll go and do it instead of playing the Wii or something.

Edited by JinZX1