Overclocked my E8500 to 3.99ghz.

Hi,

I've just joined up to get some advice on my overclock thus far.

I have an Asus P5KC mobo, and an E8500 Core 2 Duo. I have overlocked it to 3.99ghz and raise the voltage to 1.5000v.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to corrections I need to make, or if this sounds about right. Currently it appears to be running stable.

Regards,

Boeingavation

Mess with your nb termi and gtl ref voltages, it should not need near that much for 3.99ghz. 1.5v is too much for a 45nm chip, I run only 1.38v for 24/7 use and that is with a TRUE120 with 2 thick delta 120s(the tri-blade 142cfm beasts) in a push-pull setup...the temps are not what will kill the chips, it is the voltage.

Check out some of the online guides for safe values before changing anything else, since many mobo components are not as tolerant of overvolting as CPUs are and even a few minutes of too much voltage on a sensitive part can kill a chip or board.

Thanks for your advice everyone.

I must point out 1 thing, I only had the CPU voltage at 1.4v, I have lowered it to 1.35v and it still seems to running fine. For this chip is it excessive for me to push the chip to nearly 4ghz, or is it quite safe? I don't want to kill my machine.

Just so you are all aware, the only thing I have changed in the BIOS is the FSB Freq, PCI-E to 100, and changed the CPU voltage. Every other setting is on auto.

Edited by boeingaviation

He probably mean 1.5v BIOS not real voltage. Get CPUID and find out what you're really running at. For an e8500 you should easily get to 4.5ghz with 1.5 ACTUAL volts. My E8400 is running at 4.5ghz with just under 1.5V for a few months now with no problems. Personally I'd find what you can get out of your CPU after bumping the vcore to 1.5v actual (CPU ID's voltage) and tweaking your NB and PLL voltages. You should be able to get to 5ghz with the 9.5x multi. Try 526mhz fsb with the 9.5x multi and 1.5V actual and see if you get into windows.

An update...............

After reading the last post I rebooted my PC and tried altering a few things. Here's what I changed:

FSB=480

PCI-E = 100

CPU Voltage = 1.6v

CPU PLL Voltage =1.7v

DRAM Voltage=2.2v

NB Voltage=1.7v

Now I booted the PC up & it did not work, so I restarted the PC and tried altering the PLL & NB voltages but to no avail. I'm not quite sure that this means or where to change in BIOS "9.5x multi"???.

Thanks for your help, look forward to responses.

An update...............

After reading the last post I rebooted my PC and tried altering a few things. Here's what I changed:

FSB=480

PCI-E = 100

CPU Voltage = 1.6v

CPU PLL Voltage =1.7v

DRAM Voltage=2.2v

NB Voltage=1.7v

Now I booted the PC up & it did not work, so I restarted the PC and tried altering the PLL & NB voltages but to no avail. I'm not quite sure that this means or where to change in BIOS "9.5x multi"???.

Thanks for your help, look forward to responses.

Whoa there turbo, you are going to be buying some new hardware soon.

This is what you do.

Take everything back to stock voltage.

Read lots of guides before ever overclock again. Primarily you will learn to start small. Up the FSB until it isn't stable. then start upping the voltage IN SMALL AMOUNTS. You just don't crank a E8500 up to 1.6v and expect it to last at all. hell, I wouldn't even put my E6850 at that voltage, and it needs much more voltage than that E8500 you have. Overclocking isn't about cranking it as high as it can go, it is about finding the acceptable limits of your particular hardware.

I tell ya, kids these days....