Overclocked my E8500 to 3.99ghz.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok an update:

I bought a Cooler Master CM690 case. I've got (1x120mm side intake fan, 1x120mm front intake fan, 1x120mm exhaust fan & 1x80mm side case fan cooling on the opposite side of the case for the mobo).

Have got my Zalman 9700 running at full steam, CPU core voltage in CPUID showing as 1.43 with my CPU @ 4.10ghz. Now to me my system seems to be running to hot, but I'm not sure why this is, I've got plenty of cooling, maybe it's the Zalman? I'm thinking about getting either a V8 Coolermaster or Tuniq Tower 120 CPU cooler (I've been told Tuniq is the best in the business).

Could someone who has had plenty of experience overclocking please provide me a detailed overview of what I should try to get my Temperature from 60

• 4 weeks later...

Getting a better heatsink would deffinetly help out your situation but even though your temps are at 60 that is perfectly fine load temperature for an E8500, 70 is when you need to stop and back off but if your hitting 60 max at load your not doing any harm.

Also be careful with your SB and NB those things heat up fast and you have to be careful not to fry them

An update...............

After reading the last post I rebooted my PC and tried altering a few things. Here's what I changed:

FSB=480

PCI-E = 100

CPU Voltage = 1.6v

CPU PLL Voltage =1.7v

DRAM Voltage=2.2v

NB Voltage=1.7v

Now I booted the PC up & it did not work, so I restarted the PC and tried altering the PLL & NB voltages but to no avail. I'm not quite sure that this means or where to change in BIOS "9.5x multi"???.

Thanks for your help, look forward to responses.

what the hell... 1.6v CPU voltage? 1.7v PLL? 1.7v NB? Are you trying to blow up your computer?

Keep CPU & NB under 1.4v, and keep PLL under 1.6v.. but you don't even need to touch PLL yet

Edited by HD4850

Take everything back to stock voltage.

Read lots of guides before ever overclock again. Primarily you will learn to start small. Up the FSB until it isn't stable. then start upping the voltage IN SMALL AMOUNTS. You just don't crank a E8500 up to 1.6v and expect it to last at all. hell, I wouldn't even put my E6850 at that voltage, and it needs much more voltage than that E8500 you have. Overclocking isn't about cranking it as high as it can go, it is about finding the acceptable limits of your particular hardware.

You may want to look over this post again, It gives some good advice.

The P5KC isn't that bad of a board, this computer has one:

post-65878-1247108897_thumb.jpg

You may want to look over this post again, It gives some good advice.

The P5KC isn't that bad of a board, this computer has one:

post-65878-1247108897_thumb.jpg

I'd like to see a screenshot of your 4.14GHz E8400 (1.28v???) finishing at least 10 passes in IBT or 8hrs OCCT small data, please. thanks :-)

edit: nvm, I just read your last thread... I seriously think you should pump a few more volts into that unless you don't mind writing corrupt data and ruining your harddrive...

Edited by HD4850

With a pencil mod eliminating vdrop/vdroop a constant 1.280v is equal to approximately 1.32v-1.34v on a board that has not been modded. That may be why I can get away with the lower vcore.

@Boeing, just for reference, I've worked up my OC with an 8,8.5,9 multi and never took the NB above 1.4v and PLL over 1.5v and VTT over 1.3v and had the FSB up to 520. Setting the GTLref does seem to help on this board with the 45nm processors.

With a pencil mod eliminating vdrop/vdroop a constant 1.280v is equal to approximately 1.32v-1.34v on a board that has not been modded. That may be why I can get away with the lower vcore.

well have you done any legit stress tests to make sure you're really stable at that voltage?

I read some of your older posts, and you only did some SuperPi 32m runs & 10-15mins of Prime95... that's really not enough to be stable.

Yes, I always do at least 24 hours prime before considering it stable. It's been folding gpu/cpu 24/7 for a while now, so when I decide to stop it I will probably run it again just to make sure it is still stable, being a 45nm and all. Thanks though.

err... i don't know if this is correct or not but that voltage sounds a little too high for the E8xxx series. I could be wrong but someone else correct if I am :huh:
Too much voltage. I wouldnt go more than ~1.4
Your chip won't last too long at that voltage. 1.45 max for air cooled benching, and 1.4 max for 24/7.
Mess with your nb termi and gtl ref voltages, it should not need near that much for 3.99ghz. 1.5v is too much for a 45nm chip, I run only 1.38v for 24/7 use and that is with a TRUE120 with 2 thick delta 120s(the tri-blade 142cfm beasts) in a push-pull setup...the temps are not what will kill the chips, it is the voltage.

Check out some of the online guides for safe values before changing anything else, since many mobo components are not as tolerant of overvolting as CPUs are and even a few minutes of too much voltage on a sensitive part can kill a chip or board.

1.5 is a WHOLE lotta voltage. I'm currently stable at 4.16ghz on an E8500 with only 1.31 volts. Granted I had to play around with other voltages....

PICTURE

Nonsense, I've been running my Q9450 at 1.44v actual(1.5v bios) 24/7 folding for almost a year now.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

• 2 weeks later...
Whoa there turbo, you are going to be buying some new hardware soon.

This is what you do.

Take everything back to stock voltage.

Read lots of guides before ever overclock again. Primarily you will learn to start small. Up the FSB until it isn't stable. then start upping the voltage IN SMALL AMOUNTS. You just don't crank a E8500 up to 1.6v and expect it to last at all. hell, I wouldn't even put my E6850 at that voltage, and it needs much more voltage than that E8500 you have. Overclocking isn't about cranking it as high as it can go, it is about finding the acceptable limits of your particular hardware.

I tell ya, kids these days....

Umm I think some readers have got the wrong idea. My Vcore was a BIOS reading, CPUID has the core voltage at 1.33V. I didn't just crank stuff up either, I increased in small amounts and then watched tempratures under load.

Thanks for your input, am about to printout the overclocking guide from here :D