New camera

Okay, so I just got a new camera and it has been two years since I took digital photography in high school... lost a little bit of knowledge over that time, was wondering if anyone has some basic tips on how to make my pictures come out well.

Camera I have: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=Z8...S-R&cpc=SCH

Read the manual, get the camera settings right, and know what features you have to work with. You'll get the best results when you're using the right mode.

Never rush the "button-half-down" before you shoot, you've got to let the camera do what it's designed to do.

Think about composition.

Learn where the control is to "force" the flash off when not needed. An outdoor shot can be ruined on an overcast day if the flash fires unneccesarily.

A digital photo isn't really finished until it's spent some time in the "shop".

Learn where the control is to "force" the flash off when not needed. An outdoor shot can be ruined on an overcast day if the flash fires unneccesarily.

Buy a tripod and use it whenever you can. It allows for a longer exposure time without making everything blur.

And as Phil said, first spend a few hours by reading your camera's manual. You must know all the ins and outs of it. :)

Be sure to show us some of your photographs!

Spend time getting familiar with it.

The more time you spend using it, the better you will become at knowing what you need to do to achieve the effect that you are attempting.

Practice practice practice!

okay, so I just took my keep for a little test run and am starting to feel it again, got to playing around with the settings and started remembering a lot of stuff, almost felt like I had recovered from amnesia, still trying to work with the iso settings to better my pictures since many of them are taken in dark settings and I'm not fan of this camera's flash, especially since it eats through batteries fairly quickly, that is something I still need to resolve somehow. Anyway, just want to say thanks for the advice, at first I thought it was kind of silly but decided to listen anyway and am glad I did. Will post some pictures soon perhaps.

EDIT: here are two of the pictures I took from this test run.

Can't remember what I did with this picture to give of this look but this is what captured the look best in my opinion, picture of the glow of my new case's front fan's leds hitting the carpet and my dog's legs.

This one I was playing around with the... I honestly don't remember the name for it but it is the speed of the shutter, I had it set to 1/10.

Edited by Deathmineral

still trying to work with the iso settings to better my pictures since many of them are taken in dark settings and I'm not fan of this camera's flash

If you have a tripod, don't hesitate to take pics with an exposure time in the order of seconds to conpensate the lack of luminosity. I often use an exposure time of up to one second when I photograph hardware for reviews, since I use the smallest aperture possible to have the greatest range of focus. The smallest the aperture, the less light enters.

If you have a tripod, don't hesitate to take pics with an exposure time in the order of seconds to conpensate the lack of luminosity. I often use an exposure time of up to one second when I photograph hardware for reviews, since I use the smallest aperture possible to have the greatest range of focus. The smallest the aperture, the less light enters.

And if you use the tripod, the sharpness of your pictures is usually increased as the chance of camera shake shall be null at that time.

And if you use the tripod, the sharpness of your pictures is usually increased as the chance of camera shake shall be null at that time.

Also, you can create a small shake when you remove your hand of the camera after pressing the shutter button. For that reason, I always use a 2 seconds delayed shutter. :)

Also, you can create a small shake when you remove your hand of the camera after pressing the shutter button. For that reason, I always use a 2 seconds delayed shutter. :)

What he said!

Apparently you're not taking pictures of anything that moves. :rolleyes:

Apparently you're not taking pictures of anything that moves. :rolleyes:

lol. or it could be something that moves but you want to show the motion. Not the best example but look at the waterfall.

1706184_100239_b84ea18f40_p.jpg