Whats the deal with Linksys Routers?

Well alright, I am no idiot when it comes to networking and I know my fare share of troubleshooting when it comes to networking...

However it seems like the home linksys routers always burnout on my after a year or two. I can upgrade the firmware, powercycle to my hearts desire, however they just end up not being reliable after awhile...

My current router is kicking me off the internet from time to time, I thought it might be a DHCP issue so I assigned all devices in the house a manual IP.

Needless to say it didn't help much....

I had my ISP out here a few times too and they said the signal strength was excellent coming from them....

The router has to be at fault here... I just honestly don't know what to do anymore, I have a pile of these 'bricked' linksys routers sitting in my workshop (3 or 4 of them) I am just getting frustrated. They work fine for about a year then they just decide they don't...

I am almost wondering if its a scam by linksys (I know Cisco is a reputable company), to get you to buy a new model router every year... o.o

I have dealt with professional grade products and never have these issues.

I have about 6 clients connected to the network, via another switch and wireless access point.

if you have a supported model try running dd-wrt or another alternative firmware on it

i have a wrt300n and its been going strong from day one with ddwrt on it.

I checked into it sometime back, being a newer model, dd-wrt is not supported...

Home routers are destined to die after a year. Oh and, Linksys support is trash.

This should be illegal, someone should sue! :-\

Home routers are destined to die after a year.

I have to disagree w/you, my friend from the North. I've had my 3Com router for about five years now, and it's never even looked at me funny.

(knocks on wood)

Ya I have seen about 30 of the home based Linksys ones die over the last two years or so. Every once in a while there is a good one but the good is outweighed by the bad. I have two N based Linksys routers no issues so far :)

I have to disagree w/you, my friend from the North. I've had my 3Com router for about five years now, and it's never even looked at me funny.

Well, the wired part is fine. However, I cannot stream anything over WiFi without the router crashing after about 5-20 minutes, which is extremely annoying.

The funny part is sometimes it works for hours without having to reboot/powercycle, and other times it will only take minutes....

I just want a router that I don't have to replace. I was eventually going to get a business class router once I moved into my own place and set up the infrastructure for the house, however that won't come for another year or two now with the economy being so crummy :-\....

So I guess what is the best router that isn't going to die on me :-\

Same here! I bought a integrated Lynksys internet gateway/wireless router about 3 years ago... still works but, only on one machine at a time. When I try to network with it, it will work for about 5 minutes, then kind of pick one computer at random and kick the other two off... whether I use a cable or the wireless connection.

Frustrating, that.