Sign in to follow this  
Timmy94

Best Free AV Suite or AV Programs

Hey Guys,

I currently have Avira Free AV but I was wondering if there was any better programs out there or if there is a good Firewall program/spyware program to couple with it.

cheers

I use AVG free edition and i have a wrt300n router for a firewall. Keeps it simple and doesnt bog your computer down.

I also use avg and i highly reccomend it. It doesn't slow you computer dow as much as others.

If you install it i would recomend to disable daily scan. because that does slows it down (the setup lets you decide).

I know of alot of people who use Avast along with a router and are very happy. Others usually add either the XP or Vista firewall to add a layer of protection to everything.

I'd stick with Avira. If you don't mind the splash screen, Avira usually ranks really high compared to other AV apps.

I'd use a router as 333 suggested, and Comodo firewall as well. Spyware Terminator has been a good anti-spyware for me. (Real time protection).

I use AVG and a router is pretty much the best firewall you can get

+1 for avira, plus I believe there's a way to disable the popup screen, I don't mind the popup though

I may look into a router firewall, but i'm guessing you obviously have to get a new one right?

depends on what you want it to do. I ran an old D-link 604 for a LONG time with no problems. Change to a Belkin wireless when I got my Wii and a laptop.But if it just for a wired setup, you can go with a real good one, but I found that even some of the lower range routers do a decent job.

I may look into a router firewall, but i'm guessing you obviously have to get a new one right?

Router's block ports unless you specifically tell it not to. It only let's traffic go through some of the well known ports (HTTP, FTP, etc)