Ready boost - laptop

I have a reasonably good laptop - its a bit slow. I have a couple of pen drives and when I have tried to use them with vistas ready boost it just tells me that they are not the right type or something like that... it will not make much difference.

What sort of pendrive would I have to get? Does ready boost work ok.

I might just go and get another laptop - but why if the one thing its missing is enough memory... if I can get ready boost working then I may not need it

Readyboost gives a bit of a performance boost if youre running less than 1gb RAM with Vista. If you've got less than 1GB, buying another stick or going back to XP will give you much more of a performance boost than readyboost ever will.

+1 for what smeed says. I'd add RAM first before adding a Readyboost drive maybe because I'm still sold on real RAM for slow systems.

In regards to shopping for Readyboost drives I'd look for that or anything saying that the drive is Readyboost or Vista compatible. Buying a drive with capacity over 2x your ram is not going to get you your best bang for your buck and if you have 2+ gigs of RAM to start with the performance boost is going to be less noticeable.

I have 512mb of RAM running Windows 7 and you do not know how much of a boost it gives me.

Your USB isn't fast enough, it's probably too old. I'm sure the USB's you get these days from any store are good enough to run readyboost

Well I agree with the other posters, more ram or a lighter OS if you were going to use ready boost I suggest this or something like it. Quick read and write speeds are what your are looking for.

Just a quick FYI... on my particular system ReadyBoost actually was more of a hinderance than a help. I played around with it yesterday for awhile, and then benched my computer with and without it. Where a FEW things went up like my RAM read time slightly, lots of other things were slower (like string sorting what the heck?). Basically if you have a decent system it's worthless, but with a slow computer it should make a big difference.