I need help

Just to see if it would make any difference I pluged the 9550 Phenom x4 from my HTPC into it. For the record it's stock clock speed is 2.2ghz a full gig slower than the cpu that was in it. You know what happened....nothing, nada, zip it didn't make one lick of difference. So since nobody else has chimed in with any words of wisdom I guess i'll give Verrans solution a try, hell it can't get any worse. :angry:

Have ya tried pulling one of the 260s out and run just one? I had a crossfire rig with dual 4870s, and wasn't really impressed with the performance. Pulled the cards and tried them one at a time and found out one of the cards had a bad cooler and was running crazy hot. I returned that card and got one that ran at appropriate temps and then set up the crossfire to MUCH better performance. One goofy card can reek havoc on a dual card setup.

My only worry is that I have heard that the creative labs drivers are trash. The Card I'm using is the audigy 2ZS but all the bad press I have been hearing in on the X-FI.....does anybody know if the Audigy drivers work ok. In order to run the 64bit version I will need to add at least 2gig of mem so I don't want to wast the money if the audio drivers aren't going to work. :thumbs-up:

I have an Audigy2 ZS and I've found that both the daniel_k and official Creative Vista drivers work great on the Windows 7 RC

A while back I installed a couple of GTX260's in my sons PC. The main purpose was for folding and they certianly did a fine job of that! But with summer in full swing here in Florida my power bills have doubled and I have unfortunatly been forced to turn all the folding rigs off till things cool down again. Of course that doesn't mean that junior isn't using his pc to play games and that is when I noticed that his FPS are the pits. The cards are now set to SLI and there doesn't appear to be any kind of problems but the best these thing can muster in 3dmark06 is 10888 points, hell the ATI 4850 in my office rig can do 12347 points. The MOBO is a M2n32-SLI Deluxe, it has 2gigs of Corsair memory at 4 4 4 12, a PCP&C 750 PSU, the cpu is an AMD X2 5000+ BE OC'd to 3.2 GHZ, It's running XP for the OS and the entire thing is watercooled. I have no idea what's killing the FPS.....My best guess would be the CPU is a bottleneck but would it slow things down this much????

Before formatting I would physically remove one card from the system and try again. Won't take long and there is nothing to lose, right?

It could just be a game that is incompatable with SLI and causing a loss in performance. It would not be the first case of multiple GPUs performing worst then a single one!

What are your individual 3dmarks?

Are you sure if your SLI is actually working?

Here is my 3dmarks when I had my gtx260 sp216 in with my opteron180 overclocked to 2.7ghz. Its almost exactly comparable to your cpu at 2.9~3.0 because of the higher L2cache. So your CPU score should be a little higher.

post-67310-1243485405_thumb.jpg

My 260 is a superclocked edition so my sm scores may be higher.

can you post your scores?

Edited by ocre

Your cpu will bottleneck the gpus but then again there is always a bottleneck in any system depending on the app. Its gonna be either the cpu or gpu or else then you would infinite fps. On my opteron with the 260 I jacked all the eye candy up as far as possible to try and balance things out a bit. I have upgraded my cpu/mobo finally and although I have had huge fps improvements, you could barely tell the difference on most of the games I played (fallout 3, cod 4,cod 5, assassins creed,ie) I mean very little that you could tell. I had to run benchmarking or use fraps just to see. Now there were games like GTA4 which is way more cpu bound, before It ran okay but now I can max it out totally and still get 59fps!. Also before upgrading crysis maxed in DX10 it hovered +/-20fps which was just enough to bother, felt really smooth after, like butter smooth.

So it really matters what games are being played. There are very few that are so cpu bound that it will matter at all. It also depends on the resolution. I game at 1680x1050 and even at that res, with the 260 I was CPU bound in most games. But it really didnt matter on 99% of what i played.

Also if you are wondering how much your cpu is bottlenecking the gpu i have these shots for you. I only have 1 gtx260 216sp not SLI

This is my phenom 720 down clocked to match the exact same speed as my opteron was with the exact GPU:

post-67310-1243493498_thumb.jpgpost-67310-1243493698_thumb.jpg

notice the SM score increase. Its astounding! I thought it may have been because the extra core that gave the GPU more room to bloom but.....I was wrong! Here is my 720 with 2 cores and again with 4 cores at 2.8ghz. Notice the SM scores remain pretty much the same no matter the cores

post-67310-1243493963_thumb.jpgpost-67310-1243494382_thumb.jpg

To tell you the truth, if you arent gaming above 1920x1080, I dont see how you can get any real benefit at all from running 2 gtx260 SLI with your processor. Dont take it the wrong way, I dont mean any disrespect. the gtx 260 is very powerful and my opteron held just one back as you can see. But in most games it doesnt matter. Post some results and compare.

Also have you downloaded GPUZ? Could you post a shot of it?

Wow thanks for all the replies guys.....Looks like i have a little catching up tp do.

First I don't think it's a cooling problem. Both cards are watercooled and are/were running the gpu folding client 24/7. Both cards also maintained identcial temps when running the same WU and rarely ever ran hotter than 48C also their Points per WU were also Identical averaging 6000 plus ppd each. (I should mention for those that don't fold that the cards cannot be run in SLI while folding)

Thanks for the info on the creative drivers Kash because i think Windows 7 is the way I'm going to go with this. I looked on newegg last nite and discovered that the Corsair memory that I payed $250 plus for two years ago is now $38.....ouch. So going to a 64 bit OS is no big deal.

The one last thing is that I am keeping my fingers crossed on and hoping is that ASUS will come up with a bios update that will support the new Phenom II x4 cpus, other wise I will be stuck with the 9850 x4 (which is the latest supported cpu in ASUS's last bios update).

Thanks for the help.....if you have anymore ideas, keepem comming.....otherwise I'll post an update later and let you know how things went. B:)

Well I think i have exhausted all possibilities, so i am in the process of transfering all of his important files to the laptop that he will be getting as a highschool graduatiion gift ....he was excepted at all four schools we applied for,The University of South Florida, The University of Florida, Florida State and The University of Miami and he was given all accademic scholerships with enough grants that he probably won't have to take out any or at least very few student loans. So I plan on getting him a kickass laptop with extended life batteries and storage up the yingyag.

In the meantime I can see if I can figurer out whats up with his gaming rig.....I'm pretty sure he will want it a school B:)