Sign in to follow this  
usaweapon777

940 OR 955

Unless the recent batches of 940s are overclocking better... The first few weeks worth of batches were not hitting past 3.6 to 3.8.

Could you post some links that show 940s hitting past 3.8 consistently? Based on XtremeSystem's Phenom II overclocking database (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=213248), the highest air phenom II 940 clock is 3.84 GHz (stable that is). Mine personally doesn't hit 3.7 stable, let alone 3.8.

REALLY........... Most 940's i see go to 3.8 or above with 955's often toppin out at 3.6-3.8

Isn't it they top out 3.6-3.8 on STOCK volts?

Edited by MrAlex

WELL......................... i guess i must be readin too many 940 articles and not a enough 955's ........... I guess i'll go for the 955 since i wont need a new proc again if i want to go am3 and they both seem to o.c well now that i read some more articles and you guys help showed that its a good proc.. thanks for the advice and the batches could maybe even be a little better in a month.

p.s I have a zalman 9500 its decent but sure isn't anything great any advice on an aftermarket cooler. I was thinking of the core contact freezer or somethin along those lines any other recomendations?..... oh yeah and last question do the new phenoms put out a lot less heat then the originals?

Eh, the 9500 is an okay cooler for Phenoms. I'm using an s1283 from Xigmatek and it got me an extra 5-10C over the 9500. I'd say they put out less heat, but honestly, I can't confirm that. They use less power, so, I'd assume they do indeed put out less heat :blink:

940 if you ever plan on overclockin since they both have an unlocked multiplier, that 200 more mhz to start is meaningless

940 if you ever plan on overclockin since they both have an unlocked multiplier, that 200 more mhz to start is meaningless

:withstupid:

If you're going to OC there's no reason to pay extra for the 955 because after OCing the differences will be negligible.