Some Vista 64bit questions

00stevo

I decided to switch to Vista 64 a few days back cos i was getting seriously bored of xp.So im quite liking it so far,but one thing really bugs me.After booting to the desktop,the hdd seems to be in constant activity for about 10mins.And seemingly for no reason,the hdd will start spinning up again.Funny thing is,it doesnt seem to affect performance,but i fear for the life of the hdd.Will adding another GB or two of ram help?

Ok ive turned off indexing,but i forgot to mention another problem.I made some backups of my games(namely cod4 and a few others) and obviously i used a dl-dvdr but it seems to take an age to install from them.I mean up to and over an hour with cod4 which kept coming up with an error saying something like 'cant access bog.ff please verify the file exists and that you can access it'.Im not sure if its a dodgy disc cos i installed it on 3 pc's before and it was all good.I burned the file with XP pro sp3(32-bit) could it be a 64-bit issue?

I really doubt that it's a 64-bit issue, as I've had cod4 install flawlessly on multiple x64 vista installations. Can you try copying all the files onto your c: drive and running the installation from there?

Edited by Crow47

Yep i tried making an image from the disc with Imgburn,then mounting it with daemon tools lite but it threw up the same error.But since it installed on xp pro x86,it leaves me puzzled.BTW,the drive im using is a pioneer dvr-216d.

Ive already disabled uac.Im thinking its either dodgy discs,or vista playing up with my dvd drive.Either way,as much as i love XP,i cant see myself going back,whats the point? Im downloading a torrent for cod 4,and i'll just use my genuine cd key on that so at least i can get online with it.~On another note,will installing vista premium result in less processes,so my pc will feel a liitle faster?

Edited by 00stevo

Have you done all your updates and drivers? when i first installed vista64 my cd/dvd drive took FOREVER to do anything i mean ANYTHING but once i got all my drivers and everything up to date ive never had a problem. Vista still has its lil bugs like sli just got fixed not too long ago n such so if u dont have ALL the updates expect problems.