Are there any 'healthy' monitors

madu

Hey guys,

I am planning on getting a new monitor and I was thinking about a 24".

I don't have a particular brand in mind and I have been quite happy with the cheap Acer 20" I am using now.

Anyway there is a huge price difference between 24" monitors starting from around $200 for LG/Dell/Acer models.

Then there are also ones going through to about $1000. Originally, and that was about 6 months ago, I was planning on getting one for $400~$500.

Now I am actually going to buy one, I was wondering, why should I dish out about $300 more.

So I want to know, are there any 'healthy' monitors?

I dont stay in front of computers only when I am not traveling. And I do get recurring headaches.

So are there any 'eye-friendly' monitors? Are there any specifications, like contrast. that will give be a measure how good that monitor is on the eyes when spending long hours in front of it?

(24" monitor users) On a completely different note:

I have not worked on a 24", except for maybe a couple of minutes.

So I want to know your experience in using it. Is a larger screen really good for normal use?

When I originally planned on buying a 24", I was thinking about using it for gaming, now I find out that with only one year more to graduate, I hardly have any time for games. So this monitors purpose is not for gaming.

I am not a avid coder, so I do not need to have multiple windows opened. Basically, watching movies and, most of the time web browsing.

So you guys think it will be better with a 24" or it will be a complete waste getting a 24" for browsing?

Cheers.

Here's my input:

Spending long hours in front of a computer screen...or anything else at a fixed distance should require breaks at regular intervals (I usually try every half an hour). Keeping your eyes focused at an object for extended period of time can cause them to "cramp", so what I do is focus at several different things at different distances in my breaks.

24" is a good size - I use them in the lab while running code, at home I'm currently using my 32" HDTV as a monitor...and I find myself sitting further back from it to compensate.

Nah, not fullscreen. I'm usually about 4' from the screen when I'm working with my computer. I game fullscreen, that's about it. I do code "fullscreen" but that's about 5 separate windows.

I suppose you could go to a local best buy and look at monitors, but they might look at you funny if you're staring at one for long periods of time :lol: Best of luck!

I have had a BenQ FP241W for about 2 yrs now, and I LOVE it!

For me, its perfect for just about everything, from Word processing to Browsing to Gaming/Movies.

The extra space is just perfect. Can fit so much on one screen, its amazing.

Would definitely recommend the move to 24"!!

I am abit out of the loop at the moment, but my house mate just bought a Samsung 24" (not sure which model) for

The more expensive ones use superior panels (S-IPS / S-PVA) while the cheaper models (under 300-400$) all use TN panels.

Best way to figure out what fits your need best is to hang out at some store and stare at them :)

IMO, the whole point to have a high resolution monitor is to multi-task or if you need the real estate for things like picture editing or coding. For me, full screen is reserved for coding and the occasional gaming.

Thanks for the input guys.

I game only occasionally and my coding only involves a single window.

But yes I think I should hang out at a store and see if I am comfortable using a 24".

Thanks Zerts. I think the panel type is a good measure. Although I don't know how much it effects my usage.

Cheers.

Edited by madu

Thanks Zerts. I think the panel type is a good measure. Although I don't know how much it effects my usage.

TN panels generally have better response time, but they fall short when it comes to color accuracy, viewing angles, contrast, etc. If you're used to TN, then getting another one won't bother you. However, there would be a noticeable difference if you were going from an IPS/PVA to a TN panel.

Thanks Zerts.

I think for my use, TN panels are just fine. I don't do any color related stuff (just watching movies and occasional gaming), and I always work right infront of my monitor.. I think getting a IPS/PVA panel would be a waste of money for me.. I read in a post that the manufacturers usually do not specify the type of the panel they are using.. and only way to find out is to look at one from sideways and so on...

The best indicator is price ;)

If it's cheap/affordable, it's TN. Which most of the stuff in large retail stores is, nothing wrong with this though as it makes high resolution widely (See what I did there?) available.

Make sure you look for backlight bleeding (usually most noticeable on edges) and contrast though, some of the lower end units tend to be pretty bad with this.

I'd say 22" - 24" is an adequate size.

I personally use a 22" because I had upgraded from a puny 17" and wasn't ready for a 24" yet, not to mention my 4850 is happy with my choice.