Windows XP share issues

the_dude

Been a member for awhile but never really had a question I couldn't find an answer to until now so I thought I would try here. I was working on a couple computers in a local daycare here and I have a problem accessing files on the main machine. It has XP home with several user accounts that each have a password on them. The other machine has XP pro and is needing to access some files in those user accounts document folders but XP doesn't seem to just pop up and ask for a user name and password to access them with like Vista does, it just pops up and says access denied. The computer that has xp pro on it only has one user on it that needs to access several files on the machine with xp home on it and this: http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread35420.html is all I have come up with but I have my doubts that this is the answer. Hope someone out there can help, thanks in advance.

So you have all the computer on the same workgroup, have file and printer sharing enabled in the TCP/IP properties on all the computers, enable simple file sharing on the XP Pro machine? Enabling this on the XP Pro machine should have any shared files from the XP Home machine wide open. XP Home shares files through the guest account and should not prompt for a username and password box. Have you tired just using the network setup wizard?

So you have all the computer on the same workgroup, have file and printer sharing enabled in the TCP/IP properties on all the computers, enable simple file sharing on the XP Pro machine? Enabling this on the XP Pro machine should have any shared files from the XP Home machine wide open. XP Home shares files through the guest account and should not prompt for a username and password box. Have you tired just using the network setup wizard?

I'll have to check on the simple file sharing... I think it is. All of these files that he wants to have access to are in the users documents folder that have passwords on thier accounts and I think they made thier files private also. I'm really having my doubts this is going to work like they are hoping without removing all the passwords.