OC Q9450 + Asus Rampage Formula Mobo

Hey there,

I just put together my pc last night and now i want to OC my CPU. The CPU and Mobo i have were used. I have Q9450, Asus Rampage Fomula Mobo, 1066 G.Skill 4gb ram, Noctua U12P. I have OC before but it was with a E4300 and it was fairly easy with that CPU.

This mobo is way to advanced for me so I am requesting some help on this. Does anyone have this same set up? As for right now my CPU-Z is reading at 2.0 with x6 multiplier. If someone has a cheat sheet with this set up could you please forward it on to me.

Thanks.

Edited by Toltec

CPU-z is seeing that because speedstep is enabled. Speedstep turns down the speed of your cpu when you aren't using it to keep it cool, and consume less energy.

The Q9450 is a great chip, and almost all of them can do 4 ghz. Mine does 4 ghz easily, but thats as high as I can push it.

I would try to help, but I have never used or seen the bios of an asus rampage formula, so I don't want to give you any wrong info.

i have the same setup Q9450 with asus rampage formula at 3.6ghz

When i first got it i was wondering why the clock kept on changing. So i set the multipler to 8 in the bios however the asus software kept changing it to different loads. So i disabled it.

It is a pretty good overclocking board.

post-32939-1241970568_thumb.jpg

i have the same setup Q9450 with asus rampage formula at 3.6ghz

When i first got it i was wondering why the clock kept on changing. So i set the multipler to 8 in the bios however the asus software kept changing it to different loads. So i disabled it.

It is a pretty good overclocking board.

T_J,

Is it possible for you to send me your settings, i would like to take a look at them.

Thanks.

Hey there,

I just put together my pc last night and now i want to OC my CPU. The CPU and Mobo i have were used. I have Q9450, Asus Rampage Fomula Mobo, 1066 G.Skill 4gb ram, Noctua U12P. I have OC before but it was with a E4300 and it was fairly easy with that CPU.

This mobo is way to advanced for me so I am requesting some help on this. Does anyone have this same set up? As for right now my CPU-Z is reading at 2.0 with x6 multiplier. If someone has a cheat sheet with this set up could you please forward it on to me.

Thanks.

glad ya got it worked out...and like leet said disable c1e support, speed step, and vanderpool technology .....leave "disable bit" enabled but pretty much disable everything else...

cya...........cj B:)

glad ya got it worked out...and like leet said disable c1e support, speed step, and vanderpool technology .....leave "disable bit" enabled but pretty much disable everything else...

cya...........cj B:)

Awesome, so far so good. I disabled the C1e support, speed step and vanderpool. Do i need to due anything with the load line calibration?

I also up the FSB to 400 so i am sitting at 3.2ghz and my core voltage on cpu-z is at 1.248. I would like to get it to be around 3.4 or 3.6.

Thanks

Awesome, so far so good. I disabled the C1e support, speed step and vanderpool. Do i need to due anything with the load line calibration?

I also up the FSB to 400 so i am sitting at 3.2ghz and my core voltage on cpu-z is at 1.248. I would like to get it to be around 3.4 or 3.6.

Thanks

Wow, i just ran pc probe II and my NB is at 65c and SB 52c is that correct. My NB is at 1.62v i haven't adjusted those settings at all.

Wow, i just ran pc probe II and my NB is at 65c and SB 52c is that correct. My NB is at 1.62v i haven't adjusted those settings at all.

.. THAT'S HOT....set you nb voltage to 1.35 to begin with and if you have trouble overclocking then go up to 1.45...over that is crazy/unnecessary...loadline calibration enabled will stabilize the vdroop somewhat but keep in mind that the engineers who designed that board factored vdroop into the design....some vdroop is good and necessary...as your vcore goes higher for overclocking the more loadline calibration will be valuable...at lower voltages it can be auto or disabled

footnote: pcprobe II will not read acurate voltages or temps so get used to using power monitor in bios and get the latest real temps and cpu-z and read your rampage manual thoroughly...

kwik edit....one last thot....the southbridge is hot too...!! and could easily be set to the minimum....1.20-1.22...

i run my rampage as minimally as possible and still get massive overclocks...

.. THAT'S HOT....set you nb voltage to 1.35 to begin with and if you have trouble overclocking then go up to 1.45...over that is crazy/unnecessary...loadline calibration enabled will stabilize the vdroop somewhat but keep in mind that the engineers who designed that board factored vdroop into the design....some vdroop is good and necessary...as your vcore goes higher for overclocking the more loadline calibration will be valuable...at lower voltages it can be auto or disabled

footnote: pcprobe II will not read acurate voltages or temps so get used to using power monitor in bios and get the latest real temps and cpu-z and read your rampage manual thoroughly...

kwik edit....one last thot....the southbridge is hot too...!! and could easily be set to the minimum....1.20-1.22...

i run my rampage as minimally as possible and still get massive overclocks...

I have another question, do i need to turn off EIST or Pcie when overclocking. So far it is running great at 3.2. I did a sensor test + Prime95 and ran with no hicups. I will try to move the fsb up to 425. So far my NB voltage is at 1.31 , SB is at 1.15 and cpu voltage is at 1.248.

Is there anything else i need to look for when i take it up to 3.4?

Thanks

I have another question, do i need to turn off EIST or Pcie when overclocking. So far it is running great at 3.2. I did a sensor test + Prime95 and ran with no hicups. I will try to move the fsb up to 425. So far my NB voltage is at 1.31 , SB is at 1.15 and cpu voltage is at 1.248.

Is there anything else i need to look for when i take it up to 3.4?

Thanks

yes disable speedstep/eist.....pcie should default to 100 in manual mode and increase proportionally as you raise fsb...so your doing very good....the latest bios is ver 0803 update only when you're sure the machine is stable....keep prime checking your increases and if you're slow and methodical about overclocking you'll learn your board/settings and what works and what doesn't....have fun with that.............cj :D

yes disable speedstep/eist.....pcie should default to 100 in manual mode and increase proportionally as you raise fsb...so your doing very good....the latest bios is ver 0805 update only when you're sure the machine is stable....keep prime checking your increases and if you're slow and methodical about overclocking you'll learn your board/settings and what works and what doesn't....have fun with that.............cj :D

Here is an update, so far I am at 3.480 with a fsb of 435. My NB voltage is at 1.35 and my SB is at 1.125. I tried to take it to 440fsb with those settings and nothing happened. What would you suggest to do next? Do i need to up the voltage on the CPU or will i not need to with this set up. Here is what i also disabled.

C1e Support-Disabled

Speed Step-Disabled

Vanderpool Tech-Disabled

Pcie Speed-Disabled

CPU Voltage-Auto

NB voltage-1.35v

SB voltage-1.125v

Thanks