Which PSU for me

Hi,

my generic brand power supply died on me the other day and since then i have been deciding to go with a proper brand name just to be on the safe side.

i am unsure which power supply is the best out of these and would be grateful for some help.

i am under a tight budget as i don't have a job yet and i'm a student but do need a reliable one.

i have a X2 7750 over clocked to 3.2 ghz but would like to be able to go more of that but on the generic power supply its a bit scary which is why i want a quality one.

motherboard is Asus m3a78-CM AM2+

video card is a X1600 pro atm but am going to be getting the HD4770 along with the new power supply. and would like room for upgrades later on. 500Watt should be enough? for lets say i want to crossfire down the road?

i have come across a few power supplies that i have found well priced and am not sure which one to decide upon..

Enermax EG-565P-VE - $60

Cooler Master (RS-500-ASAA) iGreen 500W - $67

Corsair CMPSU-400CX - $59

OCZ StealthXStream 500W - $40

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W - $65

OCZ 550W Fatal1ty -$65

Thermaltake Silent PurePower Butterfly 480W - $33 <--- doesnt have 24pin atx though i think

Thanks for all the help.

Jay

Edited by Jay316

welcome to occ...

here are some things you should read over that may help you in your quest:

however, this should suit your needs very well if you can crossfire two 4770's down the road, and should be more than enough for the specs listed in your post above.

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

welcome to occ...

here are some things you should read over that may help you in your quest:

however, this should suit your needs very well if you can crossfire two 4770's down the road, and should be more than enough for the specs listed in your post above.

thanks for the quick response, i was reading those things before but i just wanted to make sure about those power supplies becasue its currently the best i can find in my price range. im in Canada and the corsairs at the stores i am looking at are pretty expensive.. 60 bucks for the 400Watt.

crossfire isnt that important right now but i dont wanna spend more than 70 dollars.. ideally...

which of the ones that i pointed out would u recommend? im leaning more towards the cooler master igreen or the OCZ stealthxstream

which of the ones that i pointed out would u recommend? im leaning more towards the cooler master igreen or the OCZ stealthxstream

StealthXStream should suit your needs too.

OCZ is pretty good at making PSU...but don't expect to get a rebate if it is advertised.

Their rebate system sucks.

not sure about that ocz stealthxstream, but the 600W model is terrible... atleast many of them are... google for high pitched squealing sound and see what you get...

don't like ocz for power supplies personally after dealing with one (the 600W stealthxstream) and learning about the rebranding stuff in the #2 link in the post above...

here is something else on that (it's a nice and quick guide too by the way).

also notice the glaringly cheap prices on the stealthxstream series (good power supplies are not cheap).

if you don't wanna crossfire right now and want something close to top notch, that corsair you mentioned should be a very nice choice...

but if you do wanna crossfire, it's most likely going to cost you another upgrade at that point, to be on the safe side.

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

lol i know thats what im afraid of...i still haven't gotten my rebate for my ram yet...its been about month + now. i guess i will just go with the OCZ...

just out of curiousity though.......

out of the corsair line... which is better... the HX520, TX650, or the VX550..

and then in general is it

TX > HX > VX

the tx series corsair power supplies seem to be some of the best on the market as of 2008 early 2009...

if you can afford one at the moment, they're hard to beat.

lol id dint see your post before i said "ill go for the OCZ"

i MIGHT MIGHT try for the corsair as its 100 after the rebates for the 650Watt model...........

but most likely ill be going for the cooler master Igreen 500watt..

thanks for the help all.

Edited by Jay316

it's highly doubtful you'll doubt the corsair model if you can go that route...

plus 650 watts should keep a system running for you for years, and corsair warranty is top notch!

on a side note though, the specs on that coolermaster don't seem too bad (not sure about the brand quality though having never used it and it's not conversed about too much psu-wise on this forum)...

wouldn't expect it to last near as long as any corsair model however and the warranty should be checked on as well.

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

and learning about the rebranding stuff in the #2 link in the post above...

Most psu companies don't make their own stuff. Corsair iirc uses CWT and Seasonic internals.

lol i know thats what im afraid of...i still haven't gotten my rebate for my ram yet...its been about month + now. i guess i will just go with the OCZ...

Chill. I got my Patriot rebate a bit after two months.