i7 975 new build multi GPU H2O System

Hi I am the new kid on the block and need your help.

I am in the process of specing a new i7 system, which will have multiple dual graphics cards, raid etc

The problem at present is the chassis. I require a full or super tower with a min of 8 expansion slots, pref 10+, is H2O ready and will accomodate dual PSU's on the top

I have hunted high and low but cannot find a case to take dual PSU at the top of the case with the other features.

My specs so far

Processor i7 975 anticipated end May 1st week in June.

i7 Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE1366

Motherboard either EVGA x58 SLI Classified or ASUS P6T7 WS or anything else that may come on the market in this bracket that might be more suitable - by end of June

PSU 2 x Thermaltake 1500w Toughpower W0171

GPU This will change- Nvidia GTX 295 [the P6T7 may require a Quadro as the 1st card] The next gen Nvidia may use GDDR5 along with other improvements, so I will wait before I invest in 3/4

This is when the water cooling will be installed

Memory 6GB Kingston Hyper-X Cl8 2000MHz to start

Many thanks in anticipation

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

F@H and SETI I also use CS4 Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator

The other reason for what seems to be excessive on the PSU's is to build in 40+% so that the units arn't flat out all the time, extending life expectancy.

Yes I have considered building a case but would appreciate your input as it is an area that I have not researched and have little knowledge

I would prefer to wait for the new Nvidia cards with GDDR5, I have read that they may be on 32nm die, less heat or more power, OC capabilities should improve. [i think it is going to be called GT300? series]

3 - 4 of those is going to be quite an investment + H2O. A long wait but can still run less expensive cards for the intrim

You could run 3 gtx295's on a single 1500w psu....hell even less than 1500w.

3 GTX295's @ 390w each + i7 975 130w + hard drives etc could be pushing it on 1 1500w

It would be maxed out all of the time, which is what I am trying to avoid