sound card with optical to get to PS3?

samrozzi

ok I need some help getting my logitech x540 speakers audio to my ps3 which is connected to my monitor with HDMI. But the only audio I get is through the monitor speakers which suck. I was thinking of buying a new sound card with Optical Audio Out and get an optical cable going from the PC soundcard to the back of the PS3. Would that give my ps3 the audio of my 5.1 Logitech speakers? My speakers are ALSO plugged into my computer. Would I be able to get audio with my pc and my ps3 that way?

Does your current sound card have any inputs. You want Inputs (PS3) not Outputs (Speakers). Your PC will always have to be ON for you to get sound from the PS3. I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS with a Front Panel full of inputs and outputs. It does work with the PS3 through Optical In.

This Creative Game Adapter is the cheapest solution there is, but you will only get Stereo and not Surround Sound. Link Here

Edited by Krazyxazn

Does your current sound card have any inputs. You want Inputs (PS3) not Outputs (Speakers). Your PC will always have to be ON for you to get sound from the PS3. I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS with a Front Panel full of inputs and outputs. It does work with the PS3 through Optical In.

This Creative Game Adapter is the cheapest solution there is, but you will only get Stereo and not Surround Sound. Link Here

wait why wouldnt I get 5.1 with the adapter? isnt it a 5.1 adapter?

Yes it's a 5.1 adapter, but it's RCA audio. RCA = only stereo. For surround sound you need either Coaxial, HDMI, or Optical.

In this case, yes, but RCA cables can be used for 5.1 just like anything else.

He'd still get Dolby Prologic surround using that adapter AFAIK.

None of the soundcards accept 5.1 through the S/PDIF input, only stereo. The good news is, plenty of cards actually have the S/PDIF input and they will upmix it into virtual 5.1 for you via Prologic II or some other similar way.

This one will work a treat. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16829118109

original X-Fi cards (not newer ones) have hardware Dolby decoding and can apply it to the S/PDIF optical input... (i.e. discrete multichannel sound, not stereo upmix)

http://www.overclock.net/sound-cards-compu...ard-ps3-pc.html

I have an Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1. I know what the card is capable of. You cannot feed the card Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS and get 5.1 back right back out of it. The input only accepts stereo, I'm afraid. Yes, they do 5.1 over S/PDIF on the output, after it gets upmixed.

The X-Fi Prelude is not one of the original X-Fi cards

Here is the Official Creative Solution/Guide explaining how to connect a games console to a PC with hardware Dolby decoding

Here's a driver fix walkthrough for Vista (Audigy/X-Fi)

Example of success: http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/bo...ump=true#M23960

In the official Creative guide, it mentions you either need a AudigyDrive, X-Fi Drive, or external I/O box (e.g. X-Fi Elite Pro) to set Dolby 5.1 decoding on the S/PDIF input.

This isn't strictly true though, you can bridge pins on the soundcard to trick the drivers into sensing the presence of a Drive/box, and then you can enable DD5.1 decode on the S/PDIF in :)

For the record, I have set up a DD5.1 decode on the (AudigyDrive) S/PDIF in of an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum, I haven't tried the pin bridge mod, but can fully believe it to be a working solution