Adult Colleges

I would try your local community colleges. It's usually going to be a lot cheaper than any other choice out there. Mine has classes pretty much through the entire day from 8 am - 10 pm and also online classes. So you can choose classes to fit around your schedule. The classes are small at most maybe 30 students. Of course there will be young people, but most of them are mature 20+. You will be surprised about how many people who were in your situation went back to get their education. I see quite a few older people there.

My tuition is about $5,000 a year. That's including summer term (shorter). With at least 12 credit hours in the Spring and Fall and 6 credit hours in Summer. That's full time. So like I said it's going to be a lot cheaper than most places.

I got four classes left to take and I hate all four: calculus 2, physics with calculus 1 & 2, and either retake chemistry 2 or replace it with biology 1.

Edited by Krazyxazn

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a biggie. Make it marketable. I always thought EVERYONE took this decision to heart when deciding on a concentration, but when I see how many people pay $30,000 per year to go to school and major in Theater... I sometimes wonder. My aunt was laid off from her Levi's factory a few years back, after ten years working there, so that the factory could move to Mexico. My aunt used the NAFTA government displacement benefits and was basically paid to go back to school and get a new degree. She chose Sociology. She now works at a gas station. :rolleyes:

Bingo! :thumbs-up:

After the overwhelming NNNOOOOOO's I got regarding the ITT and other TV-colleges, I've been looking more into the tech colleges in my area and finding that there's much better prices since I'm a Minnesota resident :lol: Thanks for the responses. They've been helpful. I'm new to the college thing, so any info is always beneficial B:)

And definitely don't discount the community college option. You will find very attractive tuition rates if you're a resident of the state or tax district that the college resides in. You will find a very different demographic in the community colleges than your preconceived notion of "party schools".

Get together with an academic adviser and chart out a course on how you can prep for transferring your credits to a 4-year state school after graduating with your AA or AS from the community college.

Trust me. I'm a director at a large electronics company and have interviewed and hired many applicants in the last 23 years I've been in management. A four year degree is the ticket to get your foot in the door. Especially in today's job market. It is an employer's market so to speak.

I was actually hoping a 2 year would get me in a door somewhere and that place of employment offered to send me back for the 4 year Bachlors Degree... I don't want to be without work too long...

I'm getting both excited as well as overwhelmed with this school thing. Lots to do and prepare for. I've already looked at 2 schools and marked them off the list due to cost. I have a top 3 so far, but the first 2 are further away and are in the Networking field, which is what I'd prefer to do. The 3rd is right here in my home town, but all they have is the programming field, and I'm not too keen on that, but the bonus is the amount of driving I'd have to do would be alot less. Cost-wise, all three are right in the same ballpark; $8000-12,000 for the AAS degree. My wife found an accellerated Cisco course at one of the colleges that I could have a certificate in 6 months, but to me, that would just be an add-on or bonus to the REAL A.A.S. degree I'd get for the regular Networking. Her theory is that I could get that in 6 months, find decent work and THEN continue school for the A.A.S. with the regular networking.

Not sure what to do....

I was actually hoping a 2 year would get me in a door somewhere and that place of employment offered to send me back for the 4 year Bachlors Degree... I don't want to be without work too long...

Fortunately many of the good companies have an education benefit their employees can take advantage of. I really like this idea and it is exactly the way I finished my BS degree.

Fortunately many of the good companies have an education benefit their employees can take advantage of. I really like this idea and it is exactly the way I finished my BS degree.

And you definitely are a good BS'r so that degree paid off....;)

why is it everytime I see the topic Adult College I think stripper school...?

My 2 cents is to start at a local community college. Get your Associates Degree in anything... if yours offers something IT related or business related I'd do that.

Once you have your AA, transfer to a 4 year school for your last two years. Pick a place which is AFFORDABLE. Just ensure they are accredited with one of the major nationally accredited institutions. Many places will give you scholarships if you have a decent GPA on your AA.

I highly suggest you get a bachelors degree, not just a 2 year degree, if at all possible. Don't let your age discourage your either, I know countless people who went back to school a bit later in life and never regretted it once they finished.

An AA is useless.

You don't need an AA or BS to earn 40-50k in IT.

Go get a job as a helpdesk tech...

If you're gonna get your AA, its a really stupid idea to get into debt over that when you can go to a community college and get an AA for next to nothing.

Edited by p8baller07

Age doesn't really discourage me at all... At minimum I want to get the A.A.S. degree just to get my foot in the door somewhere. If that company chose to send me back for the bachlors, then so be it. Going back to school on THEIR dime works well for me B:)

Age doesn't really discourage me at all... At minimum I want to get the A.A.S. degree just to get my foot in the door somewhere. If that company chose to send me back for the bachlors, then so be it. Going back to school on THEIR dime works well for me B:)

Don't hold all your future on that though, while some companies have been known to do that others don't. Just have another plan of action in case of your primary plans don't work out...