Sign in to follow this  
ClaymanVTW

Help with a possible computer.

i am thinking about customizing a comp with these parts from new egg. do i have everything needed/ is it a good buy for 665$/ will it work?

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - OEM

AMD Phenom 9850 2.5GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor Model HD985ZXAJ4BGH - OEM

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail

Rosewill Stallion Series RD500-2SB 500W ATX12V v2.2 Power Supply - Retail

XFX HD-483X-YDFC Radeon HD 4830 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

ASUS M3A78-EM AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - OEM

LG 22X DVD

I've become sick of replacing over-utilized/under-powered PSUs, so I tend to get more power supply than I know I need. Your PSU looks adequate, but if it were my build I would get at least a 750. Everything looks good though!

Looks all good and like benjaminw said, i personally would get a better power supply than needed. Also i would go for the phenom II, even if your not overclocking because they have much bigger cache's and are much easier to overclock if you want to go down that route. Also i would consider a Phenom II x 3 if money is an issue

money IS a issue! prefabley i want to get a comp around 650 USD. ANd i looked at the PII 720, and it looks good!

also though, what if i get a 600W PSU? could someone reccomend a good/cheap one that will still stay around my price cap of 650-670 USD with the other components?

Why mATX? I'm gonna take a guess and say that the mid tower case should handle a full ATX board (790x, 790fx, 790gx).

I'd say, skip the Phenom I, and go for a new Phenom II (720, 940...).

Do yourself a favor, and get a reputable power supply (PCP&C are top notch, as are Corsair, most OCZ, FSP, Seasonic, etc.). Read some reviews, look at ripple, efficiency, power factor. 500W from a good brand is fine. 750W is plenty for rather large future upgrades (PCP&C 750W for $90 after MIR).

Don't forget to look at aftermarket heatsinks!

Welcome and happy building :)

whats a aftermarket heatsink?

The stock heatsink comes with the processor, an aftermarket heatsink is one you buy separately, usually with improved performance.

If you can give your PSU budget I'm sure I or somebody else will happily point you in the right direction.

Cheers

Paul

Here's a good one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835233003

They're larger and more effective at cooling your processor than the stock ones that come with the processor. So, you get better life for your processor, and higher overclocks :)

Just be careful to check the heights, they're usually much taller, and you want it to fit in your case. :lol:

what about this PSU? its only50 USD which is aorund my budget for it :P my main comp needs to come to a total of 650-670 USD. and it needs to be fairly nice for gaming.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817339025

also thanks Nate, but i wont mind/i probobly wont overclock (or if i do, ill probobly have a diffrent CPU anyway) at this time so that is an unecessary component that will drain my tight price cap.

hey claymanvtw;

check this out...

it's an excellent read to give you the gist of what a power supply really does and what is actually needed out of a power supply in a system.

amperage (and where it's at) is much more important... especially on the very important +12v rail... than total watts...

welcome to occ by the way!

Edited by Maj0r Gamer