Ql1max

Buying a new rig

Hey guys! I need some of your help!

I have a 7 years old crappy PC, that needs a replacement!

I have a budget of about 750€, 800€ TOP!

Its my 1st build, and i was thinking of something like this:

Proc: Intel Q9550 for 256€

MOBO: ASUS P5Q for 113€ or ASUS P5Q Pro for 127€

RAM: APOGEE PC2-8500 "GT" KIT, DDR2 4096MB, 1066 MHz for 70€

Video: Still don't know wich one fits my mobo/proc best. Was thinking about HD4870(183€)/4890(222€) or the GTX 260(193€)

Case: NZXT Guardian 921 for 94€

PSU: PowerLC 600W for 40€ (In case you think it won't be enough, I wont buy the case and buy a more powerfull PSU)

Total: 756€ (4870 Video), 795€ (4890 Video) or 766€ (GTX260 Video)

I will be using the comp mainly for gaming!

If you would like to add something or change some part, feel free to tell your opinion :) )

W/ love, Ql1max :D

Edited by Ql1max

I honestly think you should go with the P5Q pro, but that's just me. Ive heard extremely good reports of overclocking on that board. The 600W should be fine, but I'm not so sure about the brand. I have corsair and wouldn't trade it for anything,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817139005

And if you're going to get a case in that price range, this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811156062 is a good case, or this for slightly cheaper if you don't care about a side window http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811119137

Just some suggestions. I like the processor, but can't comment on the 4870 vs 4890 since i'm in the same boat ;) while the 4890 is a lottt better for overclocking and has a better die.

hmm.. ill get GTX 285.. but from the option.. go for gtx 260.. case.. ill go for silverstone raven... cooler master cosoms s... :)

ty for the answers... :)

@stillmatic07 and abid: As I said.. The case is the LEAST important to me right now.. :) The main priority is to get the components work good together.. :) One of the probs is, that I live in Slovenia, and a lot of stuff just aint available here :) Plus, the prices are sometimes sky high :glare:

:P:typing:

if your are only gaming then why not get something like an E8400 and a decent cooler like the HDT-1283 so you can get a nice OC out of it. The E8400 would be perfect for your gaming rig unless you think the quad core will last you longer in trying to future proof it. But getting the E8400 will save you some cash for a better gpu, case, PSU, etc.

if your are only gaming then why not get something like an E8400 and a decent cooler like the HDT-1283 so you can get a nice OC out of it. The E8400 would be perfect for your gaming rig unless you think the quad core will last you longer in trying to future proof it. But getting the E8400 will save you some cash for a better gpu, case, PSU, etc.

:withstupid:

It is hard to beat a dual core for gaming. Not to mention dual cores being better for gaming, the E8400 is $100 cheaper for us Americans. Great OCers as well. Then you can use those saving for other parts, like that PSU. We don't even have that brand. Perhaps Paultkreg knows that psu or what's available to you ...though he is UK so may have more options.

Don't know the RAM either, what other options you have available? Examples... G.Skill? Corsair? OCZ?

Far as video card ...all 3 are great cards, really just depends on what you can afford and which brand you prefer (Nvidia vs ATI)

260 vs 4870

275 vs 4890

Given the prices you showed I'd say 4890 if you can still afford it.

But if you get the 4870, get the 1GB version. If you get the 260, make sure its the 216 core version.

bro if you're on a tight budget and won't be doing any benchmarking you can get into very powerful amd's for less $$ .....they are getting much better these days