What brand makes good monitors?

Can anyone suggest a manufacturer that makes good monitors?

I can personally speak for Dell and Acer. My roommate is still using an old Dell CRT monitor; it's at least 10 years old and still runs just fine. I've been using an Acer lcd for a few years now (19"), and it's never given me any problems.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work for a company that repairs, inspects and recycles warranty and stock return plasmas, lcd panels (and yes even some old crt's).

Be advised that there are only 5-6 large scale LCD panel manufacturer's in the entire world.

1. LG/Philips

2. Samsung

3. AUO

4. CheMei

5. CPT

and whoever is making the Vizio panels right now.

Each of the panel mfg's generally have 2-3 grades of panels that they sell to the LCD manufacturer (or in many cases just the company that is branding the unit).

For classes A-C overall LG and Samsung panels are the best from an engineering, materials and craftsmanship point of view.

Of course implementation of the control boards, power supplies and other internal components varies greatly from one LCD manufacturer to the next, and assuming that the panel quality is equal, this is where the real quality and performance comes into play.

Given that I work with these suckers every day here is how I would buy if budget wasn't a consideration (by brand)

1. Samsung

2. Dell

3. LG

4. Viewsonic

And if I was on a budget

1. Acer

2. BenQ

Edited by wevsspot

I bought the wife the Westinghouse 24". She has had no problems with it. No dead pixels or back light bleed through. Got it at the local Best Buy store.

I've had viewsonic, samsung, and now dell. Viewsonic was good for awhile, but when I needed customer support, it plain sucked. Samsung moniter, and also the tv I now own, are nice. The Dell is nice, and probably has the best customer support / warranty. Single dead pixel over 5 years and it gets replaced no questions asked.

Samsung and HP and Dell are good when you have a bit more money.

For less money Hanns-G and Acer are good. I have heard that Hanns-G customer support is bad, but my friend has a 19" Hanns-G and I think it looks just as good as my Samsung and he hasn't had any problems with it. Hanns-Spree is also good.

I wish mine wasn't a debranded HP since I have no where to turn this monitor in because it has one green off pixel that I've gotten somewhat used to but it's annoying. It had it since conception

I work for a company that repairs, inspects and recycles warranty and stock return plasmas, lcd panels (and yes even some old crt's).

^^^

These are the guys to ask.

Just like I asked my friend who is phone support on which phone is a better one to go with if I went with the service he works for.

Thanks for that breakdown Wevspot. :thumbs-up:

I've never heard of Hanns-G until I started looking at monitors recently. Where do they fall in?

More importantly, you think its the worth the extra money to go with say a Samsung/Dell vs an Acer/BenQ?

I've never heard of Hanns-G until I started looking at monitors recently. Where do they fall in?

More importantly, you think its the worth the extra money to go with say a Samsung/Dell vs an Acer/BenQ?

We have absolutely zero experience with Hanns-G LCD's at this point. Each manufacturer contracts out their own third party logistics supplier for returns management, repair, RTV, recycle and scrap. So I can't really give you a fair assessment of their products.

The question about "worth the extra money" is sure hard to define. I think there are primarily three different types of LCD users;

1. Professional users (photo - video - graphics - game design etc.)

2. Enthusiasts (usually gamers or others that have an unhealthy addiction to hardware - like me)

3. Normal (office, web browsing, stuck behind a desk, forwarding emails to the boss etc.)

I mean if you run across a good deal on an Acer or BenQ that is selling for literally $100 or more dollars less than a comparable Samsung or Dell.... How can you pass that up - unless you're rolling in dough - and I'm not. Of the LCD's I've tested, repaired or personally owned the Samsungs and Dells have been my favorite.

But I'll make a confession. My own personal monitor at the office is a Philips, and my personal monitor at home is an Acer P243Waid. The Acer is beautiful and performs well, but the backlight bleed leaves a lot to be desired.

Edited by wevsspot