Sworn_Vendetta

Before I waste all my money......

KK Im looking into upgrading my system with a core i7 build this is what I have ot buy.

cpu - Core i7 920 (only one Id be able to afford)

vid card - 1x nvidia 260gtx ( I have 2 alrdy and want to go for the tri-sli thing)

mobo - EVGA x58 classifeid

ram - 12gig corsaid dominator 9 - 9 - 9 - 24 ( The good stf :P)

extra vid card - nvidia geforce 9800gtx for physics excelorater

Now this is the part im not sure about. Will I need to upgrade my psu as well atm I have a 750watt psu and I was thinking of getting a 1000w+ one but now Im not to sure lol cause I dont want to save up to get it all then find out I just wasted my money.

Ignore the bad typing. lol your acistance would be greatly appreciated once again.

Now this is the part im not sure about. Will I need to upgrade my psu as well atm I have a 750watt psu and I was thinking of getting a 1000w+ one but now Im not to sure lol cause I dont want to save up to get it all then find out I just wasted my money.

Depends on the capability of the 12V EPS rail and how for you intend to push the CPU. On air or water really pushing an i7 can draw in excess of 20A at that connector.

this is a nice little guide that should help you decide whether or not the current psu is enough to handle what you have planned to put into the computer.

it goes into what the 12v rail does for a system, and deals with watts and amperage stuff.

what brand psu are you using? what is the exact model?

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

KK Im looking into upgrading my system with a core i7 build this is what I have ot buy.

cpu - Core i7 920 (only one Id be able to afford)

vid card - 1x nvidia 260gtx ( I have 2 alrdy and want to go for the tri-sli thing)

mobo - EVGA x58 classifeid

ram - 12gig corsaid dominator 9 - 9 - 9 - 24 ( The good stf :P)

extra vid card - nvidia geforce 9800gtx for physics excelorater

Ignore the bad typing. lol your acistance would be greatly appreciated once again.

How do you intend to have Tri-SLI AND an extra 9800gtx for physics? Last time I was looking at mobos there weren't any that would offer enough pci-e slots for something like that. And like what has already been said, tri-sli is a gimmick-no real extra power.

How do you intend to have Tri-SLI AND an extra 9800gtx for physics? Last time I was looking at mobos there weren't any that would offer enough pci-e slots for something like that. And like what has already been said, tri-sli is a gimmick-no real extra power.

The Classified can do 3-way SLI + PhysX.

The Classified can do 3-way SLI + PhysX.

yea but there is no way you are going to do that with 3 260s and a 9800gtx/+...those are all multiple slot cards, you would need a single slot card to do that, there isn't enough clearance for those cards to all fit, from what I saw on the pics on newegg, maybe a 9800gt would work...Although pushing 4 video cards I think the PSU will need to be bigger, but thats just my thinking.

Edited by RimX

Wow, I totally missed that he already had 2 GTX 260s. I would go higher with a triple card config...but at the same time I don't think I'd build a tri-SLI system.

The graphic card configuration you are planning on using will draw approximately 500W at full throttle (GTX260 3xSLI=400W, 9800GTX+=100W), you won't reach it very often if at all, but the potential is there! If as Praz says the i7 can pull 20A when pushed that's another 200W giving a total so far of 700W and I'm sure you'll agree your asking alot of a 750W power supply especially when you add in the rest of the hardware. If you aren't pushing the cards with a high resolution monitor (1680 x 1050 or higher) then the cards will never pull these levels of power and the 750W will be OK. If you aren't running at above 1680x1050 then 3xSLI, or even SLI, will give a relatively small performance increase.

I personally would be looking for a good quality power supply of 1000W plus with 60A or more available on the 12V rail(s). You have a substantial investment in quality hardware and it deserves a good quality 1000W+ power supply in my opinion.

Cheers

Paul

Oh...he's building a PC? I could have sworn he was trying to build an oven... 4 video cards? Nonsence, my single 8800 gts in my htpc runs perfectly on everything at 1920x1080.