best power supply brand on the market and why

what do you think is the best power supply brand on the market? and why...  

44 members have voted

1. 1. what is your choice for best power supply brand

• pc power and cooling
    • corsair
    • ocz
    • antec
    • enermax
    • rosewill
    • fsp group
    • sapphire
    • other
    • thermaltake
    • bfg
    • seasonic

(Seasonic has no product of their own similar to the Silencer 750)

While that may be true (I'll probably see if I can track down some internal shots of some Seasonic units), if you take a look at the two units below you can certainly spot some similarities.

620-1.jpg

750-1.jpg

620-2.jpg

750-2.jpg

Obviously the heatsinks are the most noticeable difference, but seeing as they come from units with different fan setups (80mm rear and 120mm overhead), that's understandable.

And yes, the component selection is different.

One is the Silencer, and the other is the (also Seasonic built) Corsair HX 620.

Now I don't want to take anything away from PCP&C, and I'm sure they are a lot more involved in the design process than most brands, but there are plenty of other brands that do get involved in component selection. Different brands simply request different specs generally and I suspect there are actually not a huge number (at least those of good quality) that simply re-badge a stock design.

Edited by jammin

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this stuff is absolutely facinating, thanks so much for sharing all of this excellent information.

so, by the looks of it, if one is trying to decide the best possible choice of power supply brand to go with in a high end rig (or any computer system for that matter) and is not worried about the price...

then the ideal choice should be either pc power and cooling or corsair (most likely manufactured by seasonic).

it would be ideal to look at reviews for both of these brands and the different models they have available on youtube (which often has excellent video reviews from tiger direct or comp usa), amazon and newegg.

if you're not too sure how much wattage you need for your system, or don't know too much about power supplies, this is an excellent and concise tutorial on the basics and should help you to be able to consider the best choices for your rig.

after making your choices, if you wanna make a thread and post them for the pro's around here to help you make your final choice, they will probably be more than happy to assist you.

have fun!

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

this stuff is absolutely facinating, thanks so much for sharing all of this excellent information.

so, by the looks of it, if one is trying to decide the best possible choice of power supply brand to go with in a high end rig (or any computer system for that matter) and is not worried about the price...

then the ideal choice should be either pc power and cooling or corsair (most likely manufactured by seasonic).

I would argue you choose those two brands when you are worried about price, but still want high quality components. If you're not worried about price, you can perhaps do better . . .

please mention what you think might be best, as those two brands were based on the then current poll results and information provided within this thread...

and please state why and provide any links to those brands or manuafacturers that may be less well known within the mainstream gaming market.

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

I'm pretty sure he's suggesting that if you want the best of the best you should buy an actual Seasonic branded PSU. I'd agree with that, to a point. Delta also makes some amazing power supplies that are incredibly overbuilt.

From the article you cited:

Note the appearance of the word: again.

Sure lets note that appearance shall we, this time lets link the entire phrase dealing with this issue:

"I've heard a lot of people complaining about the move to Delta, wondering if perhaps Antec was somehow doing them wrong again, perhaps going back to the time when Antec units used to cut some corners. Well, wonder no more - if the EA650 is any indication at all, Antec has in fact improved their offerings again."

More generally, my logic is fine, your reading comprehension is struggling. I said explicitly there were other good manufacturers.

You go from good to bad to good so i was just making sure

"There are other good manufacturers...I suspect the same will happen for PCP&C, Corsair, and others, but we shall see."

I read that and I cant see that (or think of any reason as to why) that would happen. This is why I pointed out that even if its not Seasonic there are still plenty of other good brands (which isn't directly focused towards your post but in general)

But really, this wasn't/isn't the point im trying to make.

I also said that if you choose to buy from PCP&C or Corsair or some other brand, you will need to keep track of when/if the manufacturers change (they may not, though I am sceptical in the long term) -- or instead just buy an actual manufacturer you trust, which for me is Seasonic (though I recognize that they will produce bad psus if contracted to do so, and are beginning to dabble in lower end offerings even with their name on it, which is a bad sign imo).

Not really the point so I dont care.

The reason that made me even type out a post was mostly due to the words you said dealing with Antec.

As I and the article you cited noted, this *exact* problem happened with Antec several years ago. But since you couldn't read what I wrote, and you couldn't be bothered to read the article *you* cited, then I realize you can't understand what I'm writing here.

See beginning of my post.

Ehh, take it for what its worth but just because two Antec units fail on you doesn't justify it enough to say its "commodity crap in the eyes of many, many people" as you so put it.

Ehh, take it for what its worth but just because two Antec units fail on you doesn't justify it enough to say its "commodity crap in the eyes of many, many people" as you so put it.

No, two failures won't do that. A reputation of crap PSUs that won't last very long in addition to personal experience with failures will...especially when most people won't even touch them because of their sordid past.