maj0rgamer

best power supply brand on the market and why

what do you think is the best power supply brand on the market? and why...  

44 members have voted

1. 1. what is your choice for best power supply brand

• pc power and cooling
    • corsair
    • ocz
    • antec
    • enermax
    • rosewill
    • fsp group
    • sapphire
    • other
    • thermaltake
    • bfg
    • seasonic

Hmm, I don't see Seasonic on the list. And they make some of PCP&C's best PSU,s I think. They are clearly one of the best in my judgement, though they are not cheap.

You are right, I forgot about them! Seasonic, Topower, Delta and other brands which I used to know, but brain fail took care of that, make PSUs from Corsair, OCZ, PCP&C etc., only very few manufacturers make their own PSUs.

Corsair.

Very efficient, quiet, reliable and backed by a 5 year warranty. That ticks all the boxes for me. Additionally, a lot of power supplies still draw power when turned off but Corsair is lower than some I have tested. You can also isolate them by turning off the power switch on the PSU itself, but some PSU's (Enermax for example), still draw a few watts and can only be isolated by turned them off at the wall or by pulling the plug. Power efficiency is important to me so PSU's that draw power even when turned off are less appealing.

While I voted for PC Power & Cooling, I have to say that Corsair makes some fantastic PSUs. I've had one kicking around in my system for years now without a hiccup. I bought it when Corsair first started making PSUs and thus did a ton of research on it. It has certainly been a worthy investment.

As for the Antec thing, I can vouch for that. I remember Antec PSUs being legendary for their stability. My first Antec PSU was great, though the one I bought afterward seemed to have been after Antec switched manufacturers because it didn't hold up for very long (hence why I purchased the Corsair as a replacement)

FSP Group because that is what I have used extensively over the years and have not had one issue.

I can say Antec would never get my votes because I have had too many die on me or friends that have used them.

personally, after using ocz, it's not number one on my list anymore and recommending an ocz stealthxstream 600 watt unit (as this current unit does make a high pitched noise) to anyone would be impossible as it just doesn't seem to have the kick a good gaming power supply should have...

I'd be interested to know what you mean by "doesn't seem to have the kick"?

As for high pitched noises, they are unpredictable. Measures are often taken to try and prevent them, but you may still find that two samples of the same model may differ in that regard.

Sample variance is the bane of a silent PC enthusiast.

Sorta Related:

Why aren't the OCZ StealthXStream's 80+ Certified?

They claim 80% efficiency, and some review have confirmed that.

For a PSU to be 80+ certified it needs to meet 80% efficiency at 20%, 50% and 100% load.

Of course, it also needs to actually be submitted for certification.

Anyway, as for picking a single brand for specific praise, it really is very difficult.

I'm very much an advocate of picking on a unit to unit basis, but people like PCP&C and Corsair do generally offer products of a good standard, with long warranty periods.

You can't even really single out some of the original manufacturers like Seasonic, as there are other companies out there making very good PSUs.

PSUs based on CWT platforms are pretty ubiquitous nowadays for example (Corsair units are split between CWT and Sesonic, with the top of the line HX1000 being a CWT model).

Antec have been making good use of some quality OEMs such as Delta as well recently, so a lot of their units are also pretty solid.

The same goes for a number of brands really.

The really good thing is that the overall standard has been constantly improving and really no matter what you are looking for, there is usually someone out there offering it.

Edited by jammin

At least the Silencer 750 is made by Seasonic.

For that matter, most high power, efficient, and quiet psu's are actually made by seasonic, and then rebadged by pcp&c, corsair (the tx650), antec, etc. Eventually, you might get tired of companies rebadging seasonic parts, and then secretly changing the underlying manufacturer later without saying so, much as Antec did with a couple of their lines (truepower and blue, I think were originally Seasonic, but later not -- and not of nearly the quality), and so you just resort to forking over $200 to seasonic directly and avoiding having to keep up with the whole affair. There are other good manufacturers, but seasonic is one of the best. Antec built their rep, with seasonic parts, and then later switched out seasonic and became commodity crap in the eyes of many, many people. Some sites still talk about the legendary antec quality, but those days are long since passed for me (I've had 2 antecs pop). I suspect the same will happen for PCP&C, Corsair, and others, but we shall see.

your logic is ridiculous to be honest. You're basically saying if its not Seasonic made it will eventually crumble, or if companies make the switch from Seasonic to a different OEM. ("I suspect the same will happen for PCP&C, Corsair, and others, but we shall see.")

that or maybe its just your sentence structure.

"Antec built their rep, with seasonic parts, and then later switched out seasonic and became commodity crap in the eyes of many, many people."

This is news to me. Hopefully you aren't coming up with statistics from the top of your head.

Take a glance at this article

In nearly every way I can think of, this new Delta platform is a worthy and improved successor to the older Earthwatts designs. It's better designed, regulates better, and is more efficient in general than the EA500.

The EA500 is Seasonic built.

Seasonic is great but thats not to say any OEM besides it isn't.

Edited by damian

At least the Silencer 750 is made by Seasonic.

For that matter, most high power, efficient, and quiet psu's are actually made by seasonic, and then rebadged by pcp&c, corsair (the tx650), antec, etc. Eventually, you might get tired of companies rebadging seasonic parts, and then secretly changing the underlying manufacturer later without saying so, much as Antec did with a couple of their lines (truepower and blue, I think were originally Seasonic, but later not -- and not of nearly the quality), and so you just resort to forking over $200 to seasonic directly and avoiding having to keep up with the whole affair. There are other good manufacturers, but seasonic is one of the best. Antec built their rep, with seasonic parts, and then later switched out seasonic and became commodity crap in the eyes of many, many people. Some sites still talk about the legendary antec quality, but those days are long since passed for me (I've had 2 antecs pop). I suspect the same will happen for PCP&C, Corsair, and others, but we shall see.

Should really do some research before posting something giving the illusion of fact. At least in the case of PC Power & Cooling "made by Seasonic" actually means assembled. PC Power & Cooling designs their own power supplies including the specification of components. So to "suspect the same will happen" is really irrelevant as long as the assembly of the power supply is comparable in quality to that done by Seasonic.

"Antec built their rep, with seasonic parts, and then later switched out seasonic and became commodity crap in the eyes of many, many people."

This is news to me. Hopefully you aren't coming up with statistics from the top of your head.

Take a glance at this article

From the article you cited:

I've heard a lot of people complaining about the move to Delta, wondering if perhaps Antec was somehow doing them wrong again, perhaps going back to the time when Antec units used to cut some corners.

Note the appearance of the word: again.

More generally, my logic is fine, your reading comprehension is struggling. I said explicitly there were other good manufacturers. I also said that if you choose to buy from PCP&C or Corsair or some other brand, you will need to keep track of when/if the manufacturers change (they may not, though I am sceptical in the long term) -- or instead just buy an actual manufacturer you trust, which for me is Seasonic (though I recognize that they will produce bad psus if contracted to do so, and are beginning to dabble in lower end offerings even with their name on it, which is a bad sign imo). As I and the article you cited noted, this *exact* problem happened with Antec several years ago. But since you couldn't read what I wrote, and you couldn't be bothered to read the article *you* cited, then I realize you can't understand what I'm writing here.

Should really do some research before posting something giving the illusion of fact. At least in the case of PC Power & Cooling "made by Seasonic" actually means assembled. PC Power & Cooling designs their own power supplies including the specification of components. So to "suspect the same will happen" is really irrelevant as long as the assembly of the power supply is comparable in quality to that done by Seasonic.

Link?

At least in the case of PC Power & Cooling "made by Seasonic" actually means assembled.

Technically you're correct. PCP&C designs the PSUs and Seasonic manufactures them.

http://www.pcpower.com/products/reviews/PCP/index.html

PC Power & Cooling has been using Seasonic to manufacture the Silencer power supply line for about 5 years. Seasonic is known for building high-quality units and has an excellent reputation in the power supply industry. It is important to note however that PC Power & Cooling does not re-label products as many do (Seasonic has no product of their own similar to the Silencer 750). PC Power & Cooling actually designs their PSUs and owns the tooling, printed circuit boards (their name is on them), safety certifications, etc., along with all other product rights. Seasonic (and others) are simply contracted to build the PSUs to PC Power & Cooling's demanding specifications.

Their designs do share roots with prior Seasonic supplies though...

Edited by Waco

Technically you're correct. PCP&C designs the PSUs and Seasonic manufactures them.

http://www.pcpower.com/products/reviews/PCP/index.html

Their designs do share roots with prior Seasonic supplies though...

Own circuit's etc. That's encouraging then. PCP&C probably will not pull the crap that other manufacturers pull. Given that, I can see good reasons to be a PCP&C fan, and I will be sure and consider them for future purchases (i.e. this summer). Thanks for the info.

I also consider it a positive for Seasonic, btw, that a company that actually designs its own stuff, contracts out seasonic to build it.

Certainly the price of the silencer is such that I would prefer to use that to seasonic if at all possible . . .

Edited by brsett